Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,240 users have contributed to 42,287 threads and 255,025 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• Hi everybody, Please may someone explain to me what is going to happen if I donā€™t buy VPP and I get my USB licences device or my HDD/SDD with VSLs and Software broken? Should I loose the ability to load again my software and consequently all my money? It seems very strange to me... and being honest even barely legal (at least 2 years of warranty should apply to the USB licences device). Many thanks and best regards, Marco

• last edited
    last edited

Hi MarcoP,

More information for you!

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  •     Since day one and until yesterday I assumed that the eLicenser application ā€œmanages the Licensesā€. I had fabricated this dream ā€”entirely reasonably but critically incorrectlyā€” where eLicenser secures in their database oneā€™s license information (i.e. the license itself).

Having awakened after reading the entire thread here, I once again realize I know just enough to be dangerous, and I see I donā€™t understand the features & limitations of dongle/key protection. The level of responsiveness and dedication of all VSL folks is indisputable, and I admire and appreciate it. Please and thank you, itā€™s with respect I voice my blunt opinion to be weighed on whatever merit it may have.

The fact that the VPP itself goes on the key  ā€”& āˆ“ is subject to being lost when my 15-yr. old key failsā€” is just (redundantly?) silly. From my evidently ignorant perspective I believe issues of licensing implementation should be maintained by the vendor 100% so that customers shouldnā€™t have to think about it (much less pay for insurance!). But what do I know? Iā€™m an individual, out of the loop, expecting Amazon to deliver my purchases in 2 days and for freeā€¦ and then take it back for free. 

Donā€™t misunderstand; I recycle & I voted for Bernie  ;)  My relevant experience, and where I learned the word ā€œdongleā€, was working customer field support for AVID in Manhattan in the early-mid ā€˜90ā€™s, then as a software engineer for two other companies for a few years. In those mostly pre-internet days, licensing issues were resolved with a 5-minute telephone call and a database tweak. Of course there are probably administrative expenses for VSL, but, absent the Protection Plan, charging the customer 20 Euros per license is disproportionate.

Is this (and VPP) revenue stream industry-standard practice?

Contributors to this thread are very polite, understanding, and grateful to give VSL more money for something that, imo, should be included in the original cost of purchasing any license ā€”especially if itā€™s the case that licenses on failed keys can be deactivated (who knew they couldnā€™t be?). Great that ā€œthis new systemā€ is so much better, but as Gustar pointed out, this situation we need insurance for was created by the vendor. You understand Iā€™m not wearing white gloves b/c I believe you respect my input/ opinion. Neither the history or the particulars of the issue should concern customers, should they? The reality of my indignance is that replacing my 22 licenses for a failed key would cost me $500US, so, itā€™s a no-brainer that I need to submit (buy a VPP).

~Itchy

(wishing you are well while he eats his feet)

• Itchys comment is in fact a comment VSL should learn from. All technical hardware can broken/lost/stolen, so we are responsible for that, it's true enough!

But there is a "MyVSL" button top right on the homepage. Is that really "MY" what I have paid for? I have 16 licenses, just a small amount instead of pro-users, but wich costs are there for VSL? If they have to deactivate the sticks "numbers" just to generate new "numbers" for another stick... ok, I will pay maybe 50,00 Euros for that. 16 or 250 licenses, doesn't matter. I don't think they use a paper storage with all that informations about theirs customers. Otherwise it will be ok for the effort. But hey, they use computers and on that computer they can see our payment for the software we bought.

There are just a few companys outthere using this old methode. No one of them wants to get money for a retrieve so far I have verified... (expt. transfer from ilok to eLicenser and vice versa)

I'm with itchy (so pleasing to read his lines), or Gustar,  I will pay the VPP.

Next month.

But with protest and feeling a gun on my chest.

Michael

• Ohhh.... now I could read about the plan to make a change to iLok / cloudservice...

So my post is old like yesterdays newspaper...

;-)

Michael

• Sadly but since this post I agree there isn't a reply from VSL.

Is this topic so insignificant?

• Hello everybody, 

This is still a significant topic and it has been discussed in many long threads, also in this forum.

Best regards,
    Paul

• Thank you, Paul!

Merry Christmas! :)

• Great! thanks for sharing.

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hello everybody, 

This is still a significant topic and it has been discussed in many long threads, also in this forum.

Best regards,
    Paul

Well...it's nearly a year ago that an iLok - solution is on its way. I'm not a coder, but other companys are way faster in that matter... I can't understand what problems could stop that significant question! The protection plan is now dropped to 30,00 ā‚¬, a sign, a light at the end of a tunnel... "step into the light..." šŸ˜‰

I hope that VSL will give us the cloud and enfranchise us... "I need that USB-port for a new HD to buy more VSL products..."

Deal?

Best regards

Michael

• last edited
    last edited

Hi, 

A little more patience! Thanks šŸ˜Š

Best, 
    Paul

• Hi everybody,

I just notice that my active Vienna Protection Plan was disabled even if its coverage period ends on October 2022. Is it part of the migration to ilok? Maybe I missed any communication regarding this point?

Eduardo

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Eduardo,

The VPP is not available anymore, that's correct.

Running VPPs will keep your eLicenser licenses safe.

Best,

Paul

• The iLok ZeroDownTime site seem to be non-functional right now. In each step of the checkout process the screen has to be manually refreshed. Then at the end, the Place Order button is greyed out...

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • last edited
    last edited

Hi Bill,

Works fine here... maybe just a hick-up? You can always contact iLok directly!

Best,
    Paul

• displaying active VPPs was hidden after the iLok switch - it is back again now
    https://www.vsl.co.at/en/MyVSL/MyProtection_Plans

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thanks Paul.

FireFox was the issue. I tried with Edge and it worked fine

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Eduardo, 

The VPP is not available anymore, that's correct. 

Running VPPs will keep your eLicenser licenses safe.

Best,

Paul

Thanks Paul for the clarification.

Eduardo

• Hello Paul,

after a few weeks I want to thank you and your team for that brilliant implemented iLok - solution. I was a little annoying after the long period of time while you develop and design everything in that way we can use now.

And in fact it is so helpfull and - I have to admit - my storage in my computer is much more in order as it was before.

So thanks again, and please convey my greetings to your prosperous team!

Michael

• Hi Michael, 

Thanks for your kind words, I'll gladly pass them on!

Best,
    Paul