Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,438 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• Hi Everyone

I've done a video of how it works and will post a link to youtube once its uploaded

Have a good one

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Everyone

As promised attached are links to the videos

This shows the software working

This shows it working in Ensamble

I hope this helps

Kindest

Paul

• Hello

I have bought  https://www.babylonwaves.com/logic-pro/

Just looking at the Solo Violin I have remark that the Up and Down bow articulation where missing.

I have contact Marc, the develloper, and I kindly ask him if he could add Up and Dow bow

The answer was NO, he said it was too much to add UP and Down Bow on each articulation !!!!

Then I ask him only to add on the levell II patch :

Stroke Up and Stroke down

And to kindly refund me if he does not want to do it

His answer is :

>>>>No refund

>>>>Feel free to add whatever you want, there is no reason why you cannot extend the articulation sets yourself. 

it's a kindly f...up

Looking at the contents send with the Violin I have found strange articulation sending ; in Violin Levell II he is sending 3 articulations !! I have never seen this before, I have to check this when I return to the studio

If you think you will have acces to all articulations of an instrument, you can dream, BabylonWare only allow you 32  articulations for the Solo Violin Levell II

So if I was you I will wait to buy this BabylonWave. I will do extensive test mid November

A company that does not want to make it's software evolve does not need to exist

I have also found that the keyboard articulations are not provided, and only the Tympany is provided for percussions

I hope the VSL is going to give us a good Expression Mapping for Logic.

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Hi Cyril

I can't help think that your being a bit harsh really, given the functionaltity it gives users of Logic now (the 1st time its been updated for VSL).

I've used this for a while with other software libraries and they add more features all the time. Considering this version was released the same week Logic updated to 10.4.2 i think they've done a brilliant job in offering what they do so soon after a major update and its only a matter of time before it gets better

Kindest regards

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Pieman1560 said:

i think they've done a brilliant job in offering what they do so soon after a major update and its only a matter of time before it gets better

I have also been very surprised of there non professionnal answer

Let's wait and see

Maybe Marc is going to be more resonnable 

I forgot also to mention that there are no Dimension libs supported neither VSO

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Articilation sets are designed to select an articulation. If you want add an information such as Bow Up or Bow Down, you practically double the amount of artulations. Here's why:

"Spiccato" becomes "Spiccato Up Bow" and a second articulation "Spiccato Down Bow". And that would happen for staccato, detache and all other applicable articulations. The articulation list for Vienna Instruments is already faily substantial and once you keep in mind that there are key switches for each articulation it becomes clear that adding Up/Down bowing is not a really good idea. I have tried to explain that to you in my first reply - in a friendly way.

What you really want is 2 articulations which are just there to show the relevant symbol is score and that's something which might work for you but is fairly confusing for the most of us. Those articulations would select no articulation and if you, for instance, have one of those at the beginning of a sequence of note, Logic would simply not know what articulation to switch to. Again, this might work for you but I personally think it's a bad idea in the context of what the most of us do.

"I just ask you to add an articulation for every Level II string two articulations : Up Bow and down bow, I will deal with them in my score. If you dont want to do it I want a refund !"

If you would have looked at my website, you'd learned that there is no refund. And also, that Dimension Strings are not supported. IF you would have asked me in a nicer fashion, instead of backmailing me, I would have refunded your purchase.

Best, Marc

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

My second mail was :

@Another User said:

Hello Marc

Thanks for your answer

Can't you define a CC for Up/dow bow ? that should not cause any problem

Or up to the user to use a note with velocity zero to set the articulation and after you use UP/Down bow !

You offer the possibility, up to the user to use it or not

Best regards

Cyril Blanc

Your answer had always been NO

You dont know how to treat your clients

It is your client that are buying your devellopement 

• Hello

Finaly the A0 and B0 does not re-triger the bow, on some patches you need to press on the same note twice

If you buy Art Conductor you have to be aware that not all the instruments of VSL have there Articulation set provided

So far :

- most of the Keyboard are not there 

- In the SE lib it is say that they have articulation for Muted instrument but as far as I know there is no muted instrument in SE

Just hoping that this going to be fixed

• Hi Paul,

I realize this thread is 1-2 years old now, but I am just now "getting my skin into the game", so to speak.

You said you primarily use Sibelius for composing. Is that still the case? What advantages does it afford? I would imagine the printed score looks the best with Sibelius, but what about the sound? WHAT IF great/realistic sound AND a good-looking and readable score are of EQUAL importance? What DAW should I use? Logic? Sibelius? Cubase?

Currently I am using Logic as my DAW and I have licenses for both Vienna Symphonic Library (Symphonic Cube) and the East/West Complete Composer's Collection. I just downloaded the Articulation Sets for Logic Pro X created by Babylon Waves. I have yet to utilize any of this stuff, so I don't know how well everything works, but will find out in due time.

I appreciate your and everyone's input!

QUOTE: "Now (for me at least) its not such an issue as i write all my music in Sibelius anyway as the work VSL have done with the sound sets is lovely and everything just works for me as i need it to, but now if i import the midi into Logic its a breeze to select the articulations i need and to tweek the playback to my hearts content!"

• Hi tburg1

How time flies!...blimey.

If I'm honest...I use Sibelius..All the time...for everything!

I write with it, and tweak everything with it...as for me...using notation is far more enjoyable than piano roll!

I really like your point about What if Great Sound is as important as a good looking Score!

I use Sibelius....with VSL....there sound sets...and a plugin from Santiago Barx called 'Graphical Midi Tools'....that I think is amazing!

Using it, with libraries from VSL allow you to tweak ANY CC midi date you want, adjust the start of notes, and velocity all directly from the score using a little graphical interface.

For me....it's perfect...and as result I don't use Logic at all now.

If you use Sibelius Ultimate...with VSL....give it a go and see what you think.

As a side note...I think what Babylon Waves has done for Logic is brilliant...and I contacted Marc recently to see if he could work his magic on Sibelius sound sets as well...so who knows what the future holds.

You say you use the Cube and have the composer cloud from East West...then you're in a good place as the Sound set Project do sound sets for most of those instruments.

So to recap...in the time thats passed I've learned just to use Sibelius...for everything...as I'm more than happy with what can be achieved using it....but I also understand completely that it may not be for everyone....as yes..it involves a learning curve...but staying in notation...and seeing everything laid out over your score is just lovely!

I cannot recommend Sibelius Ultimate enough..and I think what VSL have achieved with the integration is magnificent..give it ago and see what you think!

I have done a few video blogs on my website www.everythingsibelius.com and most of them relate to playback configurations etc with VSL and I review and use that plugin too.

I hope this helps you out...

Take care mate, have a good one

Kindest

Paul

• Paul,

Thank you so much for your insights! You have convinced me to try Sibelius Ultimate with VSL. I'm with you in that I really like to SEE what I hear. For self-education, I like to study printed orchestral scores (like mini scores or conductor's versions) while listening to a recording of the piece from a real professional orchestra. So I think my mind is already attuned to this way of approaching music: both sight and sound. I think what I will do with my next composition is simultaneously compose it in Sibelius Ultimate AND Logic Pro X and see which works best for me. I am just getting back into composing after a very LONG hiatus, and in the past I used first Cubase and then Logic, and found the sound to be good, but the notation atrocious. I will check out some of your videos. 

Thanks Again!

• Hi tburg1

That sounds like a great idea, using Sibelius and Logic for your new piece at the same time, to see which works best for you. The Score Editor in Logic is good...but not in the same league as Sibelius to be honest, but it is good enough to give you quite good looking scores if your notation is not to adventurous.

But I love the way that tempo text, dynamic markings and expression text just work in the Sibelius playback system, so it reacts as you'd expect on playback, hairpins, slurs, repeats, everything...input the text and you hear a representation of what you'd like..and with VSL's samples...its just magical!. If it's not exactly what you want..use the inspector, or that plugin to tweak it.

When you use Logics score editor, a plus point is that you can assign articulations to notes directly to the score, (when you get Babylon Waves) and the articulations for your VSL Cube and EWQL Composer Cloud will all be available...and a simple mouse click away!....

From memory (its been a while since ive used it!)...right click on the note you want to alter...find 'articulations'...and you can insert the one you want whilst still looking at the score. (you have to 'insert' the correct patch into your track header...but the setup and documentation from Babylon Waves is excellent.)

As a side note...if you have Vienna Ensemble..or Vienna Ensemble Pro 7....if you host your samples there...you can still use them in your logic tracks.

I used this system for ages...but VSL and Sibelius work so well together..that I stopped using it a while ago now.

When you start using Sibelius, Ensemble works brilliantly...and Ensemble Pro is even better...you'll be able to build HUGE templates (if your computer can handle it!) using the 'event Input' so everything is set up and ready to go when inspiration strikes!

I'd like to know how you get on, so good luck with everything, and I'm easy to find if you need any help with anything

Kindest Regards

Paul

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on