Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,454 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,802 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• I've been away this past week, but it's nice to see the additional comments from Paul, William, Anand, et al.  The struggle to gain recognition, respect, and financial success has always been and will always be a reality for composers.  I do try to avoid suggesting composition must inevitably be a hobby...surely it can be for many (most?) and especially those with musical training that pursued other avenues to earn a living and now compose in retirement (for which I know a few of our members like Paul and Jos do).  However, the connotation of "hobbyist" seems to undermine the extensive training, practice, and life-long learning/committment to our art and inevitably reinforces the opinion that most on the outside would have about musicians/composers.  For me, I consider model train building, camping, cooking, and a select few other activities to be my hobby, and music to be my "job."  No, it doesn't pay well, but the mindset of it being "work" allows me to produce more often/consistent than if I relegated it to hobby status.  

Dave

• I agree with Dave - "hobby" is somewhat denigrating.  

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on