Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,453 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,798 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Based on some posts in this forum, I've decided I'm going to take a closer look at Notion 6.

1) I've already found that they have better support for artic-maps for certain 3rd party VIs, and thanks to Andi's research ^^, this currently includes VSL Special Editions 1-4. Would love to see them support VSL's full VIs, even if one-by-one!

2) I've felt that, in any notation program, the quality of sound of the VIs and expressive potential and realism of the instruments can actually inspire the creative process and the desire to compose, and can influence the direction and orchestration of a work. Perhaps some other notation programs have underestimated this??

This personal experience I found echoed elsewhere, e.g. in a quote by J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Trek, Lost) "If you're lucky, the tools themselves will inspire you..." . NB: He was speaking of composing with VIs, software, ..compositional 'tools generically'  (I presume) and, to be fair, not specifically about VSL. Nonethless I feel the principle applies more broadly to top-of-class VIs in most compositional work, especially within notation software and in writing for orchestral instruments.

4) Presonus (who make Notion) also make a powerful DAW: Studio One which is Rewired to Notion 6. Whilst it may not be a perfect dovetailing of the two yet, at least they're trying to support and streamline composers' workflows, as well as offering (?increasing) support for sophisticated 3rd party orchestral VIs for Notion (through their own time and investment), such as those made by VSL.

5) Even if a program might lack some features of other notation programs, yet if they devote their own in-house dev-time to support high-quality 3rd party VIs more than their competition, then imho they might win over more interest. And customers? Especially if they also escalate the sophistication and competitiveness of their notation software. If they do offer more in-program support for 3rd party VI artics & samples, then perhaps VSL might reciprocate this support in their VIs?? ..A win-win..

Feedback/experience/suggestions from others would be most welcome.. 

Cheers,
    A

• I sugest you also check out Overture. It's the only one that has truly DAW like palyback control.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • Hi Bill,

Thanks for that lead! Apols it's taken me a little while to reply.

Yes I've looked up the Overture notation website (sonicscores.com) and see it's already at version 5 and has, as you say, got quite sophisticated integration of notation and daw features! Plus, the price is much more affordable compared with many other competing notation programs. I may try it out, and thanks again for the suggestion. Hopefully their support for 3rd party VIs like VSLis good, or that they're actively working on it..
    Cheers, 
    A

• last edited
    last edited

@Ariam said:

Based on some posts in this forum, I've decided I'm going to take a closer look at Notion 6.

I have decided to go in the same direction. I just purchased Notion 6 and Studio One 4. I have invested a lot of money into my VSL libraries and I want to get the best bang for the buck. I have put a lot of time into learning Logic Pro X as well as VEP 6. I too tried to avoid a DAW and tried to get my recordings from Finale. However, I am convinced now that the folks at Makemusic are only interested in Garritan. 

Yes, learning yet another DAW and notation program is going to take the time that I don't want to invest. However, I do like to way Notion 6 works with Studio One. So, once I finish up the current stuff that I am working on, I will have to work toward that goal.

Jonathan

• last edited
    last edited

@Ariam said:

Based on some posts in this forum, I've decided I'm going to take a closer look at Notion 6.

I have decided to go in the same direction. I just purchased Notion 6 and Studio One 4. I have invested a lot of money into my VSL libraries and I want to get the best bang for the buck. I have put a lot of time into learning Logic Pro X as well as VEP 6. I too tried to avoid a DAW and tried to get my recordings from Finale. However, I am convinced now that the folks at Makemusic are only interested in Garritan. 

Yes, learning yet another DAW and notation program is going to take the time that I don't want to invest. However, I do like to way Notion 6 works with Studio One. So, once I finish up the current stuff that I am working on, I will have to work toward that goal.

Jonathan

• I'm a big fan of Overture. It's the best marrage of notation and DAW that I've seen.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on