Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,695 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,893 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@fahl5 said:

I fear, the fact, that there seem to be currently no velocity-Editor in the Dorico Player-Section, is something what can make it currently a bit difficult to work with VSL as we want to.

Yes there is ; look a bit better in the Play section

If my memory is good you can also use pppp to ffff

Well the picture you show is actually about note lenght, and not velocity! Whre should it be the velocity editor? I didn't find it, so if you did, please let us know! 😊

• last edited
    last edited

@fahl5 said:

I fear, the fact, that there seem to be currently no velocity-Editor in the Dorico Player-Section, is something what can make it currently a bit difficult to work with VSL as we want to.

Sorry I thought I understood Daniel Spreadbuury right, in the Thread "Look of the velocity for single notes"

Where he answered for Dorico 1.12 "This is not currently possible in Dorico, but it is planned for the future."

However like the pretty limited Tempocurveeditor the solution for Velocityediting which is available now does not seem to me yet a really satisfying solution at least as far as the score gets a bit more complex.

So I understand why still for Dorico 2 the user ask nevertheless for "Note velocity lane, please"

I expect that User demands will bring Dorico closer to what we have in Cubase for Midiediting but imho we have not reached that point yet.

• last edited
    last edited

@fahl5 said:

Well the picture you show is actually about note lenght, and not velocity! Whre should it be the velocity editor? I didn't find it, so if you did, please let us know! 😊

There are two parts on the note, the velocity is blue surrounded by orange

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Can you explain why there is this pref in Dorico

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  •  

You say:

"There are two parts on the note, the velocity is blue surrounded by orange..."

Then I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Read the manual and/or experiment yourself: it's the note duration "as played" over the note duration "as written".

(Why do you defend so strongly a misunderstanding without verifying it before confirming wrong assumptions by the way?)

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril Blanc said:

Can you explain why there is this pref in Dorico

This is the authomatic management of dynamics: you may decide the dynamic curve across expression marks.

It will affect velocities or CC according your choice or the Expression Maps choice (velocity or CC): that's probably why an independent velocity editor is not implemented yet: it would conflict with authomatic rule, and so a more complex code has to be written to manage mismatch and assign priorities.

Anyway it's not rocket science and several other programs have fixed it already for years, that's why I complained that Dorico is still too primitive and limited for the actual ambitious target they have.

They are focusing on note-writing first... and in this field the program is already very advanced. I just hope they will fill the gap in MIDI editing ASAP.

But up to now, no way. I understand why VSL is waiting for better feedback and fixes by Steinberg before they spend excessive time.

• last edited
    last edited

@fahl5 said:

Sorry I thought I understood Daniel Spreadbuury right, in the Thread "Look of the velocity for single notes"

Where he answered for Dorico 1.12 "This is not currently possible in Dorico, but it is planned for the future."

However like the pretty limited Tempocurveeditor the solution for Velocityediting which is available now does not seem to me yet a really satisfying solution at least as far as the score gets a bit more complex.

So I understand why still for Dorico 2 the user ask nevertheless for "Note velocity lane, please"

I expect that User demands will bring Dorico closer to what we have in Cubase for Midiediting but imho we have not reached that point yet.

You don't have to apologize, you understand correctly, no velocity editing yet.

The actual possible workflow is:

- let expression map manage correct keyswitches

- let dynamic curve manage velocity (then all the expression map articulations must be checked with "Velocity" only)

- adjust manually all the CC in the CC lane.

This will go very close to your intentions, but only until the velocity and expression are going in the same direction. If you want to use velocities for attack and CC for expression independently, you will face some issues (because all pp will have very low velocity and all ff will have very high velocity etc. etc.)

• Hello FahI5

The dynamic diagram mislead me

Sorry

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on