Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,407 users have contributed to 42,225 threads and 254,784 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• Hello Matthieu, 

I'm sorry to hear that.

Also, you're missing out on a great sample player. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Digi_Joe, 

I understand. 

The polyphony handling for the Yamaha CFX brought a great performance boost for the Synchron engine, and there were huge benefits from fine-tuning FX Strings I. 

I am testing Synchron Strings I as we speak, and if no show-stopper shows up, we will have great news for you next week. 

Thanks again for your patience!

Best, 
    Paul 

Thanks for the clarification.

Can't say I'm impressed with the way this release process was executed, but I have to trust that you guys had your reasons. It will make me wary of VSL in the future though if similar circumstances present themselves. I have not been given a full explanation of why SY Strings was pre-sold with the SY Player tease, and then provided in a format not compatible with the same named Player - unless I have just missed it somewhere?

Let's see if the SY Player is delivered very soon. I hope it was worth the wait.....

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hello Matthieu, 

I'm sorry to hear that.

Also, you're missing out on a great sample player. 

Best, 
    Paul

But is he missing also great library? What I'm basically saying is: did you address the issues that were pointed out to you on forums etc.?

For now I feel like an early adopter who recieved MVP. Early adopters are more forgiving in nature, but only because in the end they hope for great product. Hence lots of sometimes nicer, sometimes not very nice feedback on this forum, Vi-Control etc.

If Synchron Strings will turn out to be great (they are not for now, basically nothing was re-invented there) - we're cool with a bit of hard feelings. But if you're basically repackaging the same thing to more shiny package after 7 months... Well, probably nothing big will happen to be honest. Just more hate and dissapointment online.

So:

- did you re-edit or re-record legato patches taking that you've got your own scoring stage? 

- what about too much attack on sustains?

- are you planning to add some actual new content with release of Synchron Player for SS I? Because I've seen phrase "new content" few times here and it may be confusing

Anyway I think it's time to stop being so secretive and tell us what you've got there. Because, I'm not gonna lie, I'm pissed. But trying to behave 😉

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

You should say : "thanks again, dear silly cash providers, to be treated with disrespect since six months" Releasing 2 new products with Synchron player (CFX and SFX Strings) before releasing the Synchron Player for the Strings I or Percussion I is just insulting. Personally my trust in VSL is totally broken : I will even not try the Synchron Player if it releases finally one day, and I'm selling all my Synchron products. I couldn’t agree more. It was so shocking to see two new products being released, with Synchron Player fully functional, while those of us who bankrolled the project over half a year ago are still without the Synchron Player. It should have been a priority to get it to us, not to throw it out with new products,. And the Legato is so bad - everybody knows this is a failed project. I bought HZ-strings this week out of frustration. They just work. Several projects now completed on time. Synchron is a joke. Is there any way us early adopters can get a refund and take this junk off our SSDs? We paid for a product that still hasn’t been delivered and the hype about legato being reinvented could pass as false advertising. I want a refund.

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

You should say : "thanks again, dear silly cash providers, to be treated with disrespect since six months" Releasing 2 new products with Synchron player (CFX and SFX Strings) before releasing the Synchron Player for the Strings I or Percussion I is just insulting. Personally my trust in VSL is totally broken : I will even not try the Synchron Player if it releases finally one day, and I'm selling all my Synchron products. I couldn’t agree more. It was so shocking to see two new products being released, with Synchron Player fully functional, while those of us who bankrolled the project over half a year ago are still without the Synchron Player. It should have been a priority to get it to us, not to throw it out with new products,. And the Legato is so bad - everybody knows this is a failed project. I bought HZ-strings this week out of frustration. They just work. Several projects now completed on time. Synchron is a joke. Is there any way us early adopters can get a refund and take this junk off our SSDs? We paid for a product that still hasn’t been delivered and the hype about legato being reinvented could pass as false advertising. I want a refund.

I hear you. I could also be interested in a return and refund at this stage. I too was an early adopter with SS 1 and I'm not at all sure that the legatos will finally deliver, even with the SY Player.....?

• Yyyyyeeeesssss! And I bought the product in the first 3 hours after release. Paul wrote „next week“ ... so, come on ... are you giving up so close to the Finish? My suggestion is, enjoy your (hopefully sunny) weekend. Visit Goran’s schooling-Session. And from monday you count down starting from 7 (days). And everything is gonna be alright.

• last edited
    last edited

@LAJ said:

Paul wrote „next week“ ...

If the new player is a game changer and they're planning to release it next week, then they woud have put up new audio demos by now.

The fact they haven't means we'll see no improvement in quality with the new player.

Sadly, the only improvements will probably be only usability over VI Pro.

• Just quick note:

Very optimistic post by LAJ (this guy has real strenght which I - unfortunately - doesn't share! ;D ) doesn't repeal questions asked above, so I would like to get answer to them. Thanks!

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

You should say : "thanks again, dear silly cash providers, to be treated with disrespect since six months" Releasing 2 new products with Synchron player (CFX and SFX Strings) before releasing the Synchron Player for the Strings I or Percussion I is just insulting. Personally my trust in VSL is totally broken : I will even not try the Synchron Player if it releases finally one day, and I'm selling all my Synchron products. I couldn’t agree more. It was so shocking to see two new products being released, with Synchron Player fully functional, while those of us who bankrolled the project over half a year ago are still without the Synchron Player. It should have been a priority to get it to us, not to throw it out with new products,. And the Legato is so bad - everybody knows this is a failed project. I bought HZ-strings this week out of frustration. They just work. Several projects now completed on time. Synchron is a joke. Is there any way us early adopters can get a refund and take this junk off our SSDs? We paid for a product that still hasn’t been delivered and the hype about legato being reinvented could pass as false advertising. I want a refund. I hear you. I could also be interested in a return and refund at this stage. I too was an early adopter with SS 1 and I'm not at all sure that the legatos will finally deliver, even with the SY Player.....? I’m not a lawyer, but we paid for Synchron Strings I with Synchon Player, half a year ago, and we did not get it. We got Synchron Strings that will now have to be deleted and replaced, with NO player, while others got the player by buying a new product. And we also got Legato that was anything but reinvented, Everybody’ knows the experiment failed, and they tried to cover it with Legato Blur. I don’t know if it’s a breach of the law, but I think we were misled, and it’s so insulting to early-adopter customers that I believe a refund should be offered.

• last edited
    last edited

@Spoilsman said:

a refund should be offered.

I already asked this to support. The answer was no.

• One Sidenote ... Short before the release of SS1 I requested the CFX. AND THEY DID IT! Short after my purchase of SS1 I requested „Horroreffects“ ;) ... AND THEY DID IT! (You can read it on page one of the SS1-Megathread.) So ... there is only one thing left that I requested in the SS1-Megathread ... „PORTAMENTO ON TOP“ ... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (drumroll) 👍 ... maybe ...

• last edited
    last edited

@Spoilsman said:

I already asked this to support. The answer was no. That has to be illegal. We paid. We didn’t get what we paid for. I’ll look into this, but VSL should,change their attitude. The customer is always right, and if you ignore that, no amount of pretentious showboating will save you.

• last edited
    last edited

@Spoilsman said:

I already asked this to support. The answer was no. That has to be illegal. We paid. We didn’t get what we paid for. I’ll look into this, but VSL should,change their attitude. The customer is always right, and if you ignore that, no amount of pretentious showboating will save you.

Well, actually I'm against that "customer is always right" proverb. It's dumb and very often untrue. Fyi, I worked with customers for long time, long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away). I much more prefer "be fair with customer".

• The player is simply not finished yet.  It is  about to be released.   Nobody has been cheated.  The reason for releasing the previous version of Synchron is because it is also compatible with VI.  So it wasn't intended only for the player which was still being worked on. 

The equipment being created by VSL is incredibly complex and takes more time or less time, depending on how well it goes.  But VSL has always been very fair to its customers.  The player simply took some more time to get perfected and ready for release.  

• Hi Paul thanks 4 answering..

I did reinstalt the string fx I library and reinstalt the synchron player.

By starting the synchron player on Cubase 9.5 ->

A Serious problem has occurred. Save your Project under another Name and restart Cubase9.5.exe

I uninstalt this player until VSL have fixed it.

Stability first.

• So unless I'm mistaken the reason for the previous release of Synchron Strings I was to allow it to be used outside of the Player in VI/VE and there was no reason to delay that version.  This is good because not only do you get the Player version coming up now, but also the version that allows you to integrate VI with it - essential if you want to use other instruments not yet sampled for Synchron (or never to be in the case of the more unusual ones).   

• I've been reading these posts and am rather concerned with the complaints about the legato.

I decided to listen to some demos and videos showcasing Synchron Strings legato, and personally I don't hear anything wrong, but what would I know? I'm not a string player, and I'm assuming that the people who say the legato is bad know much more about legato string playing than I do.

I do know that legato and slurring is not the same thing, so I wasn't expecting the legato to be perfectly smooth, but considering I plan to invest in VSL when I'm employed, this is worrying.

• Hi TheAmateurMusician, 

Thanks for writing.

Reproducing connected notes for legato, repetitions, runs and trills has always been a tricky endavour, and there are many approaches available since we started recording all note connections within an octave up and down from each note in the range of an instrument and then reproducing this note connection with the Performance Tool in 2003. 

It is obviously also a very emotional topic, which shows how passionate musicians are about their tools and their profession. We see nothing wrong with that. 

There will always be different opinions on literally every product on the market, and there will always be room for improvement, no doubt.

With the Synchron Series, we are starting a new approach, with a new player and multiple mics at your disposal, resulting in a great mix out-of the-box. And: at a great price. 

I'd say: Listen to the demos and the videos and make your decision based on what you hear.

And bear in mind: There will be more. We have been recording samples since 2001, every day, every week. That's what we do. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@TheAmateurMuscian said:

I do know that legato and slurring is not the same thing, so I wasn't expecting the legato to be perfectly smooth, but considering I plan to invest in VSL when I'm employed, this is worrying.

Hey, if this is something that could help you, here are 3 legato lines - first is performed with one of competitors library, second are Synchrons, standard vibrato patch (mix), third are also Synchrons, but patch is lyrical vibrato (mix), normal legato. None of them sound good, but it's because there is no CC data - to show pure transitions without any additional processing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5fw1ihqtq9838l/legatos.mp3?dl=0

Anyway, being at your place I'd wait for release of Synchron Player for Strings I and for more reviews.

• Hi Piotr Katzpersky,

Thanks for the demos.

Well, initially, I thought the first demo (the competitor) had the smoothest legato which caused me concern, but then I realised the second and third demos (the Synchron Strings) were rather louder, which would likely affect the transition from one note to the next.

Also, on further inspection I discovered that the first demo wasn't completely smooth either. It's faint, but I can tell when one note ends and another begins. This is also true for the Synchron Strings demos, but since they're louder it's more obvious, which is probably what led me to think the first demo was smoothest at first.

So in the end, it's difficult to judge.