Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• About Brass...

Hi everyone, I would like to have some feedback from you about VSL brass libraries. I use Dim. Brass I and II and I am very happy with them, but... I am interested in some single instruments of Brass I and Brass II, precisely: C trumpet solo, triple horn and tenor trombone. I have the bass trombone and thba from Brass II and, even if I like the sound, the playability for me is not as Dim. Brass. What do you think about playability and sound of, for example, C trumpet solo in comparison with the 1st trumpet of Dim. Brass? I use mainly a breath controller instead of modulation wheel. I use Mir Pro: how does the different orchestral positions for C trumpet work? Do you avoid phasing problems in this way? Thanks in advance for the answer. All the best, Nicola

• In short, I use them all they are great, I do not see any problem with them. I have tried alternatively other Libraries, but finally always came back to the best.

Yes they are classical, for Jazz perhaps useable, but of curse some stylistish more specialized other american libraries might have for this special use some benefit from being recorded in the USA, as much more VSL has its benefit for any Orchestral use of brass instruments recorded in Vienna the town with one of the most importatn orchestral traditions.

• last edited
    last edited

@fahl5 said:

In short, I use them all they are great, I do not see any problem with them. I have tried alternatively other Libraries, but finally always came back to the best.

Yes they are classical, for Jazz perhaps useable, but of curse some stylistish more specialized other american libraries might have for this special use some benefit from being recorded in the USA, as much more VSL has its benefit for any Orchestral use of brass instruments recorded in Vienna the town with one of the most importatn orchestral traditions.

Thanks for the answer. I assume you have both brass I or II and Dim. Brass... What differences are between them? Do you have problems using, for example, C trumpet solo in different position and settings in Mir, if you use it? Thanks again.

• You know the different historiy  and concept behind the Librarytypes? Brass I + II?

Brass I and II are the first Brass-Parts of the first VSL Symphonic Cube. So you get Solo and Ensemble-Patches.

Dimensionbrass like the Dimensionstrings are based on the concept to build up the ensmble from with slose,ike recorded seperate samplesets of all parts of an ensemble. That means you can mix each instrument of the ensemble seperatly meanwhile they all have still some acoustic background of the ensemble, what makes presumably the Brass I + II instruments are the first choice for solo use.(You might perhaps even use also dimension patches as single instruments what I would nevertheless avoid) But the main potential of the dimension libraries, seem to be tweaking the ensemblesound especially in MIR. While Cube-Brass Ensemblepatches are always the complete ensemble  

So I tend to use dimension-Libraries for ensembles in MIR and Brass-Solopatches for single or solistic parts. The Brass ensemble patches are still an alternative  In general I would also tend to prefer dimension instruments in smaller or more unusual sections, while the larger conventional romantic Orchestrasound might sometimes still be very well done with Cube-Brass Sections.