Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,200 users have contributed to 42,282 threads and 255,007 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 66 new user(s).

• Yes I thought of changing the title of this thread to something like that.  Horner is not significant enough to balance Herrmann.

That concept of not being able to make an orchestra sound bad applies as well to sample libraries especially VSL.  They are often abused to create a beautiful sound with bad music.  If this same music were done with only a piano, or an organ, it would instantly be shown up for what it is.  But the luxuriant layers of sampled instruments disguise  it well. 

I intimated something like this on that Synchron strings thread and of course it was ignored by the people therre who are utterly oblivious to composing, orchestration, instrumentation - i.e. orchestral music.  I recently realized  I am deliberately contradiciting this facet of using samples, by NOT using the most richly beautiful sounds so thoughtfully sampled for anyone's delectation, but instead starkly simple instrumentation that is similar to what I would get if I  actually obtained a studio orchestra.  It is small, even chamber sized, and does not have the benefit of all those massive layers of generic orchestral sound that are now smeared obscenely over everything from low budget movies to documentaries to TV commercials and video games.   

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on