Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,599 users have contributed to 42,243 threads and 254,863 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• Forum moderators: perhaps the implementation of an "ignore" feature would allow participants to block the posts of those members with whom they don't wish to engage. Many other forums have such a feature and I strongly suspect it would be welcomed by members of this forum. Just a thought, Dave

• This is a very good Idea. I fully consent this will help to keep fruitless participations out.

Something like the Facebook-Option to block people to see ones own participation will be very helpful.

• last edited
    last edited

@Acclarion said:

Forum moderators: perhaps the implementation of an "ignore" feature would allow participants to block the posts of those members with whom they don't wish to engage. Many other forums have such a feature and I strongly suspect it would be welcomed by members of this forum. Just a thought, Dave

This idea would definitely be helpful.  Being able to ignore a particular user who offers nothing of substance to the forum (in one's own opinion of course) would go a long way towards keeping things civil.

Also, my wife is a professional writer and editor.  She tells me of her experience on a moderated online forum and it seems to be a better way.   Also, the people she interacts with are all well-educated writers and poets (mostly women) who treat each other with a level of respect and consideration that men are, for the most part, not very good at doing.  We could learn a lot from women when it comes to how to communicate with people we disagree with.

My problem on music forums is always with people who feel the need to give unsolicited criticism and advice but who's own work is mediocre (or worse) and uninteresting to me. I do not offer online criticism to any composer,  I get paid for teaching composition, classical music theory and electronic music production and I don't see it as my job to tell another composer what's wrong with their music.   I am focused on improving my own work and that's it, other than my students and trusted colleagues who might seek my advice.

Also, with online forums, we don't have the benefit of eye-contact, tone-of-voice, body language and facial expression - all the things that are critical to good communcation and establishing empathy.  

• As a fly on the wall for these "discussions," I am reminded of a quote:

"You don't have to attend every argument to which you are invited."

Not directing this towards any person or any thread in particular, just an observation from the peanut gallery.

Warmest regards to all --

Craig

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on