Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,759 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Game Of Thrones - Main Theme

last edited
    last edited

Hi there dear forum members,

due to the season final of Game Of Thrones I decided to make a MIDI-Cover/Mockup of the main theme by Ramin Djawadi. The goal is to be as near as possible to the original. I used VSL especially for the strings (the complete list of VSTs I used is in the video description).

I hope to get feedback from you guys. I wondered if you have any suggestions to make it sound more realistic, any technical advices etc.

Have a nice day,
    Roland

• My advice on how to improve it is this:

- The dynamics need refining. The strings kick in too loud too fast and the transitions don't sound so realistic.

- mixing (some instruments aere too loud etc.)

- Do you have reverb? If yes, it needs a lot of work. Check out https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-room/ if you haven't already. Good, relatively cheap reverb for orchestral scoring. It's only 50$.

I'm definitely not an expert in this, but these are things I'd do to improve this.

Good work overall. Keep practicing and you'll get better after every project.

• I agree with porrasm on the mixing part, though I couldn't say what exactly is needed. (Still struggling myself with muddy mixes). I'd like to add that I actually find your rendition of the theme very close to the original. Which is btw an interesting choice of model, because the original itself doesn't sound too convincing to me.

• This sounds a little raw to me. Like it wasn't mastered. What libraries are you using? The strings sound featureless. Are you layering them with the smaller ensembles and/or solos? The percussion could use some punch. Try parallel compression. It's not a bad start but a little more attention to detail would help it.

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on