Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Stereo AND Mono Sends in VE PRO????

Hi everyone, I know this has been addressed in the past but I can't find any recent posts about it so here it is again.  Has a feature been added to new versions of VE Pro so it can present stereo AND mono sends to the DAW? Specifically, I'm using Cubase 8.5.  

What I'm trying to do is configure Kontakt with Abbey Road Drums.  Within Kontakt I have the individual drums sent to mono channels and the room/overheads sent to stereo channels.  I would like to mimic this routing in Cubase but all I get from VE Pro are 16 stereo sends.  I've tried messing about with panning but this doesn't work because of the following:

Say I have my kik bussed to mono 9 and snr bussed to mono 10 in Kontakt.  Well, the audio signal from mono 9 and 10 seem to go to output 17/18 in VE Pro.  If I pan this channel I can isolate the kik or the snare but in Cubase I only get one or the other...I can't split this stereo send in order to have it received in Cubase via mono tracks (unless there's a way I'm not aware of...let me know).  

I hope this makes sense and someone can help.  If not, thanks for reading anyways.  Cheers!

• I use XLNAudio Addictive Drums. I do the panning in VEP and then return each of the mono parts on their own individual Stereo bus back into Cubase. Works well.

EDIT: Try using Stereo tracks with panning, or give each Mono bus it's own output back to Cubase...instead of sharing 17/18 as you described in your example. Send Kick on 17/18 and Snare on 19/20. 

• last edited
    last edited

Thanks for the reply Synetos but this solution isn't sufficient because I run out of stereo sends before I've bussed all my mono tracks out.   For a small kit this is fine but when I'm doing full drumkit production I need at least 15 mono tracks and 4 stereo tracks....using your method this would require 19 or 20 stereo sends.

@Synetos said:

I use XLNAudio Addictive Drums. I do the panning in VEP and then return each of the mono parts on their own individual Stereo bus back into Cubase. Works well.

EDIT: Try using Stereo tracks with panning, or give each Mono bus it's own output back to Cubase...instead of sharing 17/18 as you described in your example. Send Kick on 17/18 and Snare on 19/20. 

• Why not just add more Audio Outputs to the Server/Instance preferences?

I have my rig setup 288 stereo outputs per instance. You are not limited to the default 32. You can probably set it to 48 and have plenty for what you are trying to accomplish. You can also control how many you activate back in your DAW. I have not seen any sort of impact with high output counts.

• last edited
    last edited

Yes I tried to up the amount of channels in VE Pro but for whatever reason I'm still only getting 16 stereo returns in Cubase..?  

@Synetos said:

Why not just add more Audio Outputs to the Server/Instance preferences?

I have my rig setup 288 stereo outputs per instance. You are not limited to the default 32. You can probably set it to 48 and have plenty for what you are trying to accomplish. You can also control how many you activate back in your DAW. I have not seen any sort of impact with high output counts.

• I think the problem here is that I'm using Kontakt and I cannot figure out how to get more than 16 stereo outputs to the DAW.

• last edited
    last edited

@Synetos said:

I can't check this at the moment, but I think you can make these into mono outs in VST Connections. F4 for ease.
    I doubt Cubase is going to show more than 32 total in VST Rack. 32 coming back from VE Pro to me is an awful lot and I wouldn't. The real deal with that many outs is we want to export stems to this degree. 

You probably are used to all the mixing in Cubase, but I don't, I actually do all mixing in VE Pro via the automation, as audio outs back to Cubase uses a lot of CPU. And I do a fair amount of mono out from BFD, it's just that the whole shebang comes back as a single stereo out for Cubase. If I want stems, I'll activate more.

• last edited
    last edited

Thanks for the reply.  I have figured out how to get more outputs to Cubase from VE Pro but my problem remains.  This is because I cannot figure out how to get more than 16 outputs (stereo or mono or a combination of both) from Kontakt to VE Pro.  Perhaps there is a setting I'm missing within Kontakt that enables more outputs?   

@Synetos said:

I can't check this at the moment, but I think you can make these into mono outs in VST Connections. F4 for ease.
    I doubt Cubase is going to show more than 32 total in VST Rack. 32 coming back from VE Pro to me is an awful lot and I wouldn't. The real deal with that many outs is we want to export stems to this degree. 

You probably are used to all the mixing in Cubase, but I don't, I actually do all mixing in VE Pro via the automation, as audio outs back to Cubase uses a lot of CPU. And I do a fair amount of mono out from BFD, it's just that the whole shebang comes back as a single stereo out for Cubase. If I want stems, I'll activate more.

• SOLVED!  

1.  I configured VE Pro to have 32 outputs and then restarted the server.  

2.  I instantiated Kontakt (stereo) in VE Pro and deleted all the existing outputs.

3.  I created 32 stereo channels in Kontakt with their outputs bussed in ascending order.

4.  I added the respective channels in VE Pro and set their outputs in ascending order.  

5.  I created an instance of VE Pro in Cubase and lo and behold there were 32 stereo outputs available.  

Thanks for all the help guys!