Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,191 users have contributed to 42,209 threads and 254,698 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

  • [SOLVED} Upgraded computer... VE PRO 5 / LOGIC X now performing worse

    Hi All,
    I recently upgraded the master computer on my master-slave system.  For the first time in years I'm now experiencing frequent (but inconsisten) clicks and crackles and pops on in my Logic sessions when playing instruments on my slave computer via ve pro 5. Particulars are as follows:

    OLD MASTER
    27" iMac, 2013, 32gb ram, OSX 10.9, quad core i7 3.5Ghz, Logic 10.2.2
    Logic buffer always set at 256.  Never had a crackle in 2 years of use even with big template playback.

    NEW MASTER
    2013 Mac Pro, 64gb ram, OSX 10.11, 8-core, 3HGhz, Logic 10.2.2
    Logic buffer at 256.  Frequently getting crackles when playing both Kontakt and Play instruments via VE PRO 5 from my slave.  

    SLAVE
    ADK Custom built PC slave; Windows 7 64 bit; 32gb ram; i7 quad core, 3.6gHz.
    VE PRO 5.4.13715; Typically have over 30 Vienna instances connected per session.  

    MASTER AND SLAVE are connected directly via ethernet.  No switch or router.

    Audio interface, Apogee Symphony I/O with thunderbridge.

    Any ideas as to what the new hitch in the system might be?  

    I realize that I can up the buffer on Logic, but the increased latency would be a bummer since I play in everything.  And would make my new "upgraded" system, feel a bit like a downgrade.  I've had fully functional no-crackle set-ups using this same slave and much slower masters (a 21 in imac 2.4gz quad core, and a mac book pro 2.2Ghz for example).  

    Can't seem to figure out what could be causing this.  Something in OS 10.11?  Haven't taken the steps of re-installing or updating VE PRO (to 6) or LOGIC (to 10.3).  On near daily deadline, so trying to minimize down-time risk. 

    Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.  Thank you!!

    -Andy


  • Ah, a little more research shows it might be that I do not have the latest Apogee Symphony I/O drivers for OSX 10.11, El Capitan.  I'll remedy that and dutifully report if that solves the issue.

    Still begs the question though... why is this only causing problems with my VE PRO connected tracks?

    Thanks for reading, all.

    -Andy


  • Update: Symphony I/O Drivers updated, VE PRO server interface and VE PRO 5 updated to most recent versions.  Problem still persists.  

    Created equivalent instances of Kontakt and PLAY directly in LOGIC mirroring my VE PRO template and tested.  Everything works fine like that.  So, the problem is definitely with my VE PRO configuration.  


  • Latest Update for anyone who may be having a similar problem.

    - Updated VE PRO 5 to latest build on slave, no change.   
    - Replaced ethernet cable; no change.
    - Increased buffer to 512 and 1024 in Logic, temporary relief.  But once the crackles returned, they 
    - Also now occasionally getting "Error while trying to synchronize Audio and Midi" message from logic.  Worth noting that the distortion I'm hearing is more like digitally sample rate problem distortion that I've occassionally expereineced when I've mistakenly opened a pro tools session at 44.1 along with a logic 48k, not like a standard "buffer it too low" click.  
    - Note: the distortion is happening when only two or three VE PRO instances are playing back.   

    Luckily, I have a clone of my slave (call it SLAVE 2) on my assistants rig.  So I snaked an ethernet cable through the house to his slave (also PC, windows 7 quad core i7) and my new master computer (mac pro) communicates with that one just fine.  No clicks or crackles... so far.   So, at least I think I've narrowed it down to how VE PRO is operating on SLAVE 1.  'Cause after swapping slaves, now moved slave 1 to the assistant's rig (using my OLD imac master computer) and the problems persist.  Note, the OLD MASTER iMac / SLAVE 1 combo had been my flawless main system for years.  No crackles or distortion.

    Appreciate y'all reading.  Thanks!

    Complete specs for everything below, in case any brave souls feel like digging into the issue and chiming in:

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    OLD MASTER
    27" iMac, 2013, 32gb ram, OSX 10.9, quad core i7 3.5Ghz, Logic 10.2.2
    Logic buffer always set at 256.  Never had a crackle in 2 years of use even with big template playback.

    NEW MASTER
    2013 Mac Pro, 64gb ram, OSX 10.11, 8-core, 3HGhz, Logic 10.2.2
    Logic buffer at 256.  Frequently getting crackles when playing both Kontakt and Play instruments via VE PRO 5 from my slave.  

    SLAVE 1
    ADK Custom built PC slave; Windows 7 64 bit; 32gb ram; i7 quad core, 3.6gHz.
    VE PRO 5.4.13715; Typically have over 30 Vienna instances connected per session.  

    SLAVE 2
    VISION DAW PC slave; same specs as above.


  • Everything is working swimmingly expected now on both master / slave configurations.

    Not sure which of these did the trick, but here's what I did:

    - MASTER 1 (trashcan mac pro running el capitan).  Upgraded to Logic 10.3.2.  Huge improvement.  Even aside from the VE PRO problems, Logic 10.2.2 was running like junk on El Capitan  .  

    - SLAVE 1: 1 of the sample SSDs was a touch over 90% capacity.  Ditched some unused samples to get that down to around 60% and sample streaming performance from that slave is much improved. 

    - SLAVE 2: same as above

    Hope some of this saga helps someone who may be having similar issues.  

    -Andy