Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,674 users have contributed to 42,253 threads and 254,888 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

•  

You're right: We all rely on inspiration.

My project was inspired by several people (Mahler, but not only), VSL skilled collegues (you, dito) but also by amazing facts which could easily mislead me to behave as a Donald Trump like gorilla if I lost control. But even staying well-mannered I cannot help them being facts:

As far as I can see I'm the first one to create sample based orchestral accompaniments of any Mahler song. And not regarding „Urlicht“ rendered by your friend I still am the only one apparently, not just when considering that I've accomplished all of them meanwhile.

The 4th movements of the 4th and the 3rd symphony are not yet done and the „Lied von der Erde“ has only reached 40 of its 60 minutes, but these items usually are not regarded as part of the lieder cycles.

To cut a long story short:

I'm depending on being inspired and I'm thankful for any source of inspiration, but speaking of Mahler accompaniments I begin to feel like being justified to see myself as also giving inspiration rather than only needing it. Or is this what I've just called Trump like ?

Hope it isn't.

Yours sincerely

PS:

Of course it was a matter of inspiration and perspiration to visit your friend's site. But I could stop sweating learning, that he uses „Farewell“ naming the 9th symphony and not „Abschied“ from („Das Lied von der Erde“).

• Uli, the Absheid sounds really great, fantastic performance!  The musical performance is simply excellent and the instruments sound completely natural.  

(one technical problem  - I heard a repeated noise on the right channel like a compression artifact or something similar. Not sure if it is on youtube itself)

• I am very flattered being regarded as inspiration for you. Being respected from other VSL-collegues for what we do could be a great mutual encouragement.

• last edited
    last edited

Dear William,

reading that you appreciate my results means a lot to me. Thank you for a beneficial experience. Thanks also for mentioning the technical noise. In spite of my tinnitus I sometimes notice some sort of crackling noise myself and I guess (hope) you're right thinking of a youtube resp. compression problem. So as a "Trost im UngĂĽck" (solace in sorrow) I experienced that at least my original wav files exported from my DAW (Samplitude) seem to be clean. Fortunately. So, when an audio file is ordered I usually send it via workupload.com and apparently there's no noise or worsening of the sound quality to fear. May I ask you a favour ? I would like to know if the noise is gone in the Abschied excerpt you know, but now as my original wav file without beeing spoilt by neither a video editing software nor by Youtube. It should be possible to download it after a click on http://workupload.com/file/ajGV8E2 It would be very helpful for me to know if there's no more crackling or at least a difference. See you soon ? Thank you. William !

Uli

• Yes, Steffen,

I totally agree. Let me emphasize your word "mutual" which didn't come to my mind yesterday. It's all about mutuality or, in (y)our own language: "Augenhöhe".

On other subject: "My" tenor Gustavo Monastra (although "Der Abschied" is for alto or baritone) has made a recording using my accomapaniment. I made a video, everybody is happy. And then i got a copyright claim presented by Youtube, cause I've stolen "Das Lied von der Erde". I've sent a protest immediately, telling them that I take it as a compliment, when they think they hear a real orchestra. I'm curious how things will develope. Last year they had tried to pretend the copyright for "Oh du fröhliche" quoted in my "Zweihnachtsmusik". There's a million of ways to waste time. 

Bye for now

Uli 

• Uli

I tried the download file and there is definitely no noise on the original - it sounds very clear and perfect.  So it was some upload conversion problem.  

• Thank you, William,

you helped me a great deal. I think I'll explain in the descriptions of my internet videos that sporadic ennoying crackle is not God-given, rather Youtube-Given and that my wav-files are free from any noise. I don't even want to know how many singers already have been deterred from ordering any of my accompaniments. If you like to have any of them as little personal thankyou, let me know.

Bye for now

Uli

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on