Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,089 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 40 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Harp 2 Extended Library

have just purchased the Harp full library, to supplement the Harp 2 Standard Lib which was installed in 2013.

Since the upgrade, I notice the Harp 2 Folder now has 8 dat files of the Full Library, whilst still including 6 dat files of the Standard Library; do I need both, or can the Standard Lib dat files be deleted?

• Hi,

You can delete the Standard Library *.dat files. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Paul,

Can we do the same for all Standard Library files, after we have upgraded to the Full version by purchasing the Extended part?

Paolo

• Hello PaoloT, 

In general, yes, you have the same content. 

With our earliest Single Instruments Downloads (Brass and Woodwinds), some presets in the Standard Libraries have different names, so you might want to keep those, for consistency with older arrangements. 

Best,
    Paul

• Paul, thank you for the answer. After installing a few of the instruments I recently purchased, I'll ask you what to do with each of them. Is these a general way to recognized the redundant content?

Paolo

• Hi Paul,

many thanks for your helpful reply; I will go ahead and delete the earlier Standard Library .dat files.

I also posted another question regarding my install of the Flugelhorn, as follows:

I installed the Flugelhorn Library in 2016; I've only just noticed that in addition to the folder containing the .dat files (16 in total) for the instrument, there is a separate folder containing the 20 setup CAB files.

Should this setup folder still be there, or does this indicate that the install didn't complete fully?

Do you have any advice regarding this?

best regards, Kevin

• Hi Kevin, 

The *.cab Files are the highly compressed installation files, you can delete them after the installation has taken place (The installer in the Download Manager also suggests to delete it). 

Best, 
    Paul

• Hi Paul,

yes, I understood what the .cab files were and I always select the option in Download Manager to delete after installation; which is why I'm surprised to find them still on my drive and concerned whether their presence indicates that the installation didn't complete fully.

would it be advisable to delete both Flugel folders (.cab and .dat files) and reinstall?

best regards, Kevin

• Hi Kevin, 

Oh, sorry for the over-explanation then!

You can definitely delete the *.cab files, the 16 dat files are fine for the Flugelhorn. So no need to download everything again. 

Best,
    Paul

• Hi Paul,

no need to apologise, it's better to be clear!

I appreciate your kind assistance and advice; I will go ahead and delete the redundant folder containing the .cab files.

best regards, Kevin