Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• 1st Movement from Symphony #9

last edited
    last edited

This is the first movement from my newest symphony. I am currently working on the 1st movement of #10. Produced with VSL Cube. I also included the score for those interested in seeing it.

Thank you for listening, I hope you enjoy the piece!

Play

Jerry

• Hi Jerry,

This is a terrific piece of nervous and visceral energy. So inventive with some cool harmony to boot. I found it to be quite exhilarating in places with a lot of original thinking.

What is your current feeling on practicality? are you still writing for the midi orchestra as opposed to perhaps a live performance?   

Can't wait to hear the 10th......show off :-)

www.mikehewer.com
  • Nice interesting piece. I enjoyed listening the music and reading the score. Thank you for sharing!

• last edited
    last edited

@MMKA said:

Nice interesting piece. I enjoyed listening the music and reading the score. Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed listening!

Jerry

• last edited
    last edited

@mh-7635 said:

Hi Jerry,

This is a terrific piece of nervous and visceral energy. So inventive with some cool harmony to boot. I found it to be quite exhilarating in places with a lot of original thinking.

What is your current feeling on practicality? are you still writing for the midi orchestra as opposed to perhaps a live performance?   

Can't wait to hear the 10th......show off 😊

Thanks Mike!   By practicality, do you mean how best to hear my pieces?   If a top-notch orchestra wanted to program one of my pieces, I'd be OK with it if I knew rehearsal time would be sufficient and that I'd get a good recording out of it.  Otherwise, I am totally happy working in my studio and using computer technology, libraries and soft synths to make music.   My goal is not to fool the listener into thinking they are hearing a recording of an acoustic orchestra.   My goal is to produce music that sounds good and works as music.   Getting a piece over 10 or 12 minutes long played by a large orchestra is very difficult in the U.S., it's very expensive and audiences, as we all know, generally prefer the familiar and the known to the unfamiliar and unknown.   So in that sense we living composers are competing with hundreds of years of dead people, as orchestras program mostly music of European composers who have passed on.    These economic and social realities have been mitigated to some degree by being able to produce scores electronically.  Plus, I really love working in the studio and approaching music as a recording art. 

Hope you are well.   Please send me any links to new works you're coming up with!!

Jerry

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on