Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,091 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Too few samples or wrong setting in VSL SE? Dynamics...

Hi! 

I work with Finale 25 and VSL Special Edition 1 & 2 and the PLUS packages. It integrates OK, but I'm not very pleased with how for example the brass developes in dynamic. The samples feels.. too few? The difference between loud and just a little louder is in my amateur ears a way too big gap in what VSL performs. 

So, my question is if this is a result of me using the special edition, or if it's a matter of me not setting up my stuff right... 

• Hello Jonas!

Our bigger instrument collections and single instruments offer more velocity layers than the Special Editions.

You can reduce the dynamic range of any instrument with the DynR fader under Advanced/Perform. This way the difference between velocity layers will be smaller.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi! Ok, just what i expected... Thanks for your reply!

• Another thought, Andi. I have my setup now with human playback in finale working well. If i change to the more expensive libraries, is it still possible to use the basic settings from the same human playback? Pizz/arco etc, all those things will still work? Or do I need to create a new human playback setting from scratch?

• Hi Jonas!

Our Human Playback Preferences for Finale only work with the Special Edition volumes 1 to 4. Our bigger instrument collections and single instruments contain many articulations that can't be triggered with the Human Playback system. That's why we have created the Keyswitch Dump file for Finale. After importing this files, you can easily add keyswitches and MIDI CC commands to your score in order to change articulations. Unless you replace every Special Edition patch with the according instrument collection patch, the Special Edition Human Playback Preferences will not work with the instrument collections.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on