Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,582 users have contributed to 42,242 threads and 254,854 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@jsg said:

...But that was in the late 80s; nowadays all the media corporations will have the composer sign over his (her) half of the royalties to them.   If I got that job today it would pay maybe a 1/4 of what I was paid, if that.  And today everything is far more expensive.   The music business is like the rest of Capitalist America, more, more and more for the corporations and little to nothing for everyone else. 

Is it really the music business Jerry or is it the fact that technology is such today that any 14-year old Hip Hopper wannabe with a decent computer set up can ditch school all day and masqeurade as a "composer"  by layering cinesamples, loops and beats?  He can then sell his "works" on a pleathera of sites offering cheap music for the masses across the Net.

Back in the eighties Jerry you weren't competing with the hordes of poop loopers, beat churners, Drone-iacs and so-called DJ's that permeate the scene today.  The Internet and the technology has effectively eliminated the gatekeepers that were the norm during the days of old who screened out all of dribble.

If Capitalism is guilty of anything here it is creating the atmosphere that has allowed the current state of affairs.  But then again, what would the alternaitve be?  Some big brother authority deciding who gets to be a composer and who doesn't?  As Winston Churchill said, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."  I guess the same could be said for Capitalism; the lesser of all the other evils.

I don't think the problem is Capitalism or the music business Jerry I think it's just the fact that good composers such as yourself and others here are held to same standard as the Hans Zimmerites and the dime a dozen mouse clicking prodigies.  Which means there really isn't a standard anymore is there.

Anyway, I'm sorry everyone I got off on a rant there๐Ÿ˜ณ

•  

"dime a dozen mouse clicking prodigies".

LOL Jasen, I blame the 'no fail' and politically correct culture too. Everyone is wonderful and talented don't you know.

www.mikehewer.com
  • last edited
    last edited

@jsg said:

I watched video from TV, there were no DAWS back then.   I would use a metronome to choose a tempo, and use a little software program I had written for me to convert SMPTE time into measures, beats and clocks, and calculate hit points from that information.  Much easier to do today with DAWs, no doubt.  I recorded the sequence to a 1/4" 2 track, SMPTE locked (to video machine) Fostex tape recorder.  Back then, tape noise was always a problem, so I had Dolby S, the best noise reduction at the time to deal with that.

Hi Jerry,

sorry it took that long to reply. I had a look to the Fostex and the Dolby S.......fascinating tools! Funny how most of us need plug-ins to add noise and colour to our mixes nowadays, isn't it? We are of course lucky, because adding noise is easier than reducing it I guess.....

Thanks again for sharing this information. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Francesco

Francesco
  • last edited
    last edited

@mh-7635 said:

[i]"dime a dozen mouse clicking prodigies".[/i] LOL Jasen, I blame the 'no fail' and politically correct culture too. Everyone is wonderful and talented don't you know.
    Isn't this the truth? I taught at a school where, at the year end awards assembly, literally 50% of students left with an award in hand. Thank you to all of you for your fascinating insight in to the early days of midi, and in particular the challenges facing commercial composers today. As a newbie that got in to midi and virtual orchestration 3 years ago, and as someone that has yet to sell a single piece (via sound libraries) I wish I could have grown up in the golden age of opportunity, but alas, I was wasting my youth as an accordionist and participating in the not for profit arts sector ๐Ÿ˜Š Dave

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on