Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,773 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 37 new user(s).

• Dimension Strings or orchestral string?

Hi,

If i have to make a full orchestra work it make sense to have the orchestral strings bundle or the dimension strings?

For example if i buy the dimension strings then i don't need to buy also the orchestral strings bundle to make my work?

Thank you.

Andrea

• last edited
    last edited

@Andychild said:

If i have to make a full orchestra work it make sense to have the orchestral strings bundle or the dimension strings?

For example if i buy the dimension strings then i don't need to buy also the orchestral strings bundle to make my work?

Andrea

Hi Andrea

Full Orchestra work ... There are 5 possibilities of strings:

1. Solo Strings (1 Violin...)
    2. Chamber Strings (6 Violins,...)
    3. Dimension Strings (8 Violins,...)
    4. Orchestra Strings (14 Violins,...)
    5. Appassionat Strings (20 Violins,...) (The D-Bass Section has a reduced amount of articulations)

All the libraries contain more or less the same main articulations (Full Libraries). See the table which is coming with each library. Only the Dimension Strings have the possibility to split each section into divisi sections. This also means that for example all the 8 Violin players could be treated separately. For having this possibility you need to have some more space on your harddisc. Also keep in mind that you need a lot more time if you want to treat all of the 8 violins sperately. All the other libraries you play as whole sections. Of course, you also can do this with the Dimension Strings.

If you ask which library you should I choose ... Keep in mind, that all the libraries have their own sound and it is probably more important to choose the library which fit most to the result you want to reach.

So, how do they sound? Once I've made 3 different demos which show the differences. Go to the "MUSIC" page, search for "Kaufmann Beat" and choose: "Compare Rag" and "Irish Strings". You can listen to 1=Solo, 2=Chamber, 3=Orchestra and 4=Appassionata in a row - same music, same reverbs, nearly no EQs. Here the same "system" but with a very slow piece "BWV 622 Oh Mensch bewein dein Sünde gross". Unfortunately I have no Demo which includes also the Dimension Strings. Because they sound similar to chamber strings I once made such a comparing piece just between those two libraries. See at Youtube.

Finally one last tipp: You also can mix libraries which can lead to a new sound. As an example the demo of a mix between "the orchestra library combined with the solo strings (unison)". The resulting sound reduces the big sound of the orchestra library so that you get a result similar to the sound of a sort of chamber strings...

Hope this helps to make farther decissions

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • Hi Beat thanks for your tips. I think that at the end my goal is to achieve the most realistic sound and i believe that i can do it with the dimension strings.Of course it will take much more time and resources to master but at the end the final result will pay you very well. Thaks for your reply. Best regards. Andrea