Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,087 users have contributed to 42,705 threads and 256,979 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• Three Part Invention

This is  a short piano invention in 3 parts using a chromatic motive that morphs into a diatonic motive. The piece is limited to 3 parts throughout:

http://www.jerrygerber.com/inventioninthreeparts.htm

Notice that though the opening motive is chromatic, I control the balance between consonance and dissonance carefully. Dissonant does not necessarily mean chromatic, and chromatic doesn't necessarily mean dissonant. The piano is the physical-modeled piano by PianoTeq.

• Hi Jerry,

I really enjoyed this piece. It displayed excellent control of the language used and was a joy to listen to.

I know your philosophy re sample based music and so I wont mention the obvious - suffice to say that the 3 lines of counterpoint worked well on the piano sound. Funny that practicalities  didn't bother me in this context......a measure of how much the music got to me.

(edit)...ok it's a piano duet.....   :-)

best

Mike.

www.mikehewer.com
  • last edited
    last edited

@mh-7635 said:

Hi Jerry,

I really enjoyed this piece. It displayed excellent control of the language used and was a joy to listen to.

I know your philosophy re sample based music and so I wont mention the obvious - suffice to say that the 3 lines of counterpoint worked well on the piano sound. Funny that practicalities  didn't bother me in this context......a measure of how much the music got to me.

(edit)...ok it's a piano duet.....   😊

best

Mike.

Hi Mike, hope all is well with you.  Glad you enjoyed the piece.  What do you mean by a piano duet?  I am guessing you mean that one play might have a hard time with it?

Best.

Jerry

• yeah..some big wide spaces in there. Listened again and I love the Bachian studious feel to it, it's a great piece Jerry.

www.mikehewer.com
  • PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on