Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,598 users have contributed to 42,243 threads and 254,862 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• You got a "mini lecture" because you inferred me and other posters where trolls. However, I'm sorry William, you did not need to reply, clearly you are under the mis-apprehension that I wish to engage in dialogue with you. But seeing as you did, your a fine one to talk about lecturing. Your immature reply suggesting that I was in char......oh christ , your really not worth it...... but I will stand up for opinions other than your own that I happen to agree with.

www.mikehewer.com
  • Dear Forum Members, 

please don't lapse into the old trap of fighting verbally on the 'net. I can assure you that we all have more in common with each other than we dare to admit. ;-)

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Fair enough Dietz...thanks for stepping in.

William....here's an olive branch........

www.mikehewer.com

• last edited
    last edited

🐶 <- rabid puppy.

;-D

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@mh-7635 said:

Hi Fiestared,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm so pleased you liked some of my music - compliments from fellow composers mean just that bit more.

Mike.

My pleasure...

• I just tried out the new cello and violin on audition. Am I getting that right, that the legato-patches are all looped?

•  I look out for it to hear your composition with the new instruments!

• Andi

When can we expect the settings for Sibelius to be updated to reflect the new instruments? 

Mark

• Hello Mark!

Settings for Sibelius are already available.
    http://www.vsl.co.at/en/MyDownloads/Notation_Related

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • I too like the new Violin and Cello...the Cello sounds especially nice. Has anybody else noticed that they are quieter than the original solo strings? I have to boost them by about 4dB to get them to the same level if I combine them in the same matrix as the original solo strings....I am surprised that the relative levels are not matched. Or am I missing something?...I don't think anybody else has commented on this aspect. Thanks! Andy

• I've noticed the same thing. I haven't yet had time to see if this is a result of the VIPro preset settings being different to the ones I had on the original Solo Strings (and just to avoid confusion my comment is based on a comparison of the new Solo Violin 2 and the Solo Violin from Solo Strings I & II.

• Just had chance to double check the volumes of both the new instruments and they are both about 4dB quieter.  This means you cannot simply put them into an existing matrix (in my case a custom matrix) of either the solo violin I or solo cello I respectively and use as an alternative legato sound for example in a particular passage.  There are certainly ways to work around this but you have to have a separate matrix in a preset and then boost the level of that.  This is not really ideal.  If you however want to have the two solo violins playing in unison by putting them in two slots of a single cell then this is a problem...I know you can adjust the levels of the slots but there is no headroom so you have to pull one down - In this case the original solo violin or cello and this then affects the whole MIR natural volume level etc...

I do not understand why the levels are not matched if indeed they are intended as a solo violin II and a solo cello II and not as someone suggested earlier in this chain, a first chair for dimmension strings, or something like that...I do not have Dimmension Strings so I cannot compare the levels with those instruments.

I have bought the flute 2, both oboes, the second Bb Clarinet and Bassoon 2 in order to create custom a2 instruments in my orchestral template.  I can then have solo, a2 and a3 (via the ensemble instruments) in my woodwind.  The levels all match in these second instruments when I pair them up.  I also have the C and Bb Trumpets for a2 Tpts and they are matched.

These new solo string instruments are excellent of course...I am just perplexed as to why VSL did not match these instrument levels as it makes it tricky to fully utilize them.  Perhaps someone from VSL could explain or comment?

Best,   Andy