Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,625 users have contributed to 42,247 threads and 254,876 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 24 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• These are really good comments here.  I would add a simple way to learn VSL is to do a melody with just one articulation.  Maybe just legato.  Or if it is a fast line, just staccato.  Nothing else.  Don't use the big ready-made presets, just use a single patch.  Then when you realize you need a different sound, put it in a slot right next to that first one.  And so on.    That may sound crazy compared to the huge articulation sets that are pre-made, but you often find that an entire line of music can be played by one articulation only.  Or maybe alternating between a few like legato and sustain and short note patches. It can actually be very simple to use VSL, because the real quality comes not with huge complexity, but with the basic recorded sound quality combined with fine control over the musical line by means of perhaps only a few articulations and a couple of controllers.  

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

These are really good comments here.  I would add a simple way to learn VSL is to do a melody with just one articulation.  Maybe just legato.  Or if it is a fast line, just staccato.  Nothing else.  Don't use the big ready-made presets, just use a single patch.  Then when you realize you need a different sound, put it in a slot right next to that first one.  And so on.    That may sound crazy compared to the huge articulation sets that are pre-made, but you often find that an entire line of music can be played by one articulation only.  Or maybe alternating between a few like legato and sustain and short note patches. It can actually be very simple to use VSL, because the real quality comes not with huge complexity, but with the basic recorded sound quality combined with fine control over the musical line by means of perhaps only a few articulations and a couple of controllers.  

Dont have alot of time to get into a big post on this but this is exactly what Im doing. I find myself picking an instrument in the special edition samples (to those that think these are not worth the time or expense, there are two reasons the special editions are great - they reduce the price on complete libraries down the road and they are small samples that can be loaded quickly) and playing with an articulation or two and then writing a simple melody. I have found a love for the Oboe like none I had before. Such a beautiful instrument and sadly, so under utilized in orchestral music. Combined with a simple piano line, a harp, some light strings and I ended up with a beautiful composition. Not fancy, not technically challenging, but beautiful nonetheless.

Since I cant seem to get two instruments at the same time to work, I have to freeze or bounce a track as wave data to record a second track and right now, that is what is most frustrating.

I havent had alot of time this week to play with all of this as this is mid term week for me. Have an English essay we were assigned Monday that is due this coming Monday (TONS of research being done to complete said essay before I can even begin to write it) and about 6 hours of math, compound that with 55 hours of work, and sleep, and I havent had much time for anything else. But Ill get back to writing when school slows down.