Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,087 users have contributed to 42,705 threads and 256,979 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• A question to Dietz, please.

Hello Dietz,

I have finished a symphonic work MIDI version, used VSL Powerpan/VSL Equaliser/Convolution Reverb and so on. Going to bounce tracks in place and send it to MIR Pro. I have some questions to be cleared up before to start the first time.
    1. Should I take away all Pan/Affects/Convolution Reverbs and send Audio tracks undressed?
    2.  Can I send Audio tracks to mix  in MIR PRO group by group, separately. Strings, Winds, Brasses and Percussions and sum them after?
    Thanks in advance and sorry for a simple questions

Master -Mac Mini 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB, System HD on Toshiba 500 GB, Mac OS X 10.10.5.
    Logic PRO X(10.2),  RME FIREFACE UFX,
    ———
    Slave -MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, Systen on Intel SSD 180 GB, Mac OS X 10.10.5.
    Sounds Library on 1 Tb SSD, VI Pro 2, VE Pro 5,  VS, MIR PRO,

• Hi Gukas,

ad 1.: MIR Pro will take care for all aspects of panning/stereo width/positioning and room/spatialisation. As a rule of thumb, you should avoid pre-panning and "reverbs" on those tracks you want to process with MIR. Dynamics processing and EQs/filters are fine, in most cases, although I would avoid the latter when using MIR's Character Presets.

Sometimes adding some algorithmic reverb tail to MIR Pro's _output_ signals can add a nice flavour to the natural spatial impression (... that's what MIRacle has been made for), but avoid it on the input.

ad 2.: Technically speaking, you can of course send submixes into MIR (if this is what you mean), but MIR is meant to work with individual "voices", so you would waste lots of its sonic potential.

... if you meant to ask if it's possible to have one MIR pass for strings, another for woodwinds etc., and to sum these "stems" later, then the answer is: Yes, that will give you the same result as having all instruments on stage at the same time - it's just much harder to achieve it. :-) Don't use several instances of RoomTone, BTW. 

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thanks Dietz for a quick replay,

The first question is finaly understood as I always wanted to know it.

The second one, as I see, needs some aditional clarity from me. In a Slave Com I have 16GB and I will introduce

to MIR PRO as much instruments as MBP can manage by checking it in an Activity Monitor.

The rest instruments will be adit after but in there respectiv place in the MIR stage leaving free the positions, used by privies  goup. The mean reason for this is GBs used by MIR Pro. This is my understanding now.

<Don't use several instances of RoomTone, BTW.>

Sorry, could you simplify a bit this.

Thanks a lot.

Master -Mac Mini 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB, System HD on Toshiba 500 GB,Mac OS X 10.10.5.

Logic PRO X(10.2),  RME FIREFACE UFX,

———

Slave -MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, Systen on Intel SSD 180 GB, Mac OS X 10.10.5.

Sounds Library on 1 Tb SSD, VI Pro 2, VE Pro 5,  VS, MIR PRO, 

• If you mix several passes of MIR'ed instruments, make sure that MIR's RoomTone isn't activated during each pass, that's all I tried to tell you. :-)

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library