Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Symphonic Movement #3

Perhaps of interest:

https://soundcloud.com/alan-belkin/sm3

This is my Symphonic Movement #3, realised entirely with VSL sounds.

Alan Belkin

• Quite an interesting piece. I had 9 well spent mins today.

I feel some lack of high frequencies in the mix โ€”surely not in the scoreโ€”,
    perhaps due to SoundCloud algorythm.

VI Special Edition 1-3, Reaper, MuseScore 3, Notion 3 (collecting dust), vst flotsam and jetsam
  • Glad you like it. :-)

Yes, Soundcloud compresses everything.

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Alan,

This is a superb piece of music and the interpretation is great too! I think the composer will agree โ€ฆ ๐Ÿ˜Š

You made VSL sounds very near a real orchestra. I'm impressed. Could you have imagined achieving such a realism with a computer only a few years ago?

I take this opportunity to inform you that I followed with great interest all over your orchestration courses that you have generously offered to the Internet community. Many thanks for that too!

Claude B.

• last edited
    last edited

Thank you!  ๐Ÿ˜Š

@C.B. said:

Hi Alan,

This is a superb piece of music and the interpretation is great too! I think the composer will agree โ€ฆ ๐Ÿ˜Š

You made VSL sounds very near a real orchestra. I'm impressed. Could you have imagined achieving such a realism with a computer only a few years ago?

I take this opportunity to inform you that I followed with great interest all over your orchestration courses that you have generously offered to the Internet community. Many thanks for that too!

Claude B.

• I second the other comment that is a very nice piece of music, well composed orchestrated and rendered.

Loved the variety in themes, harmony and textures. Very refreshing to hear some 'real' classical music with VSL. The entire piece maintains a certain freshness throughout with minimal repetition....almost like a scherzo from a Mahler symphony.

If I may just make one comment about the rendering, the release of the strings seemed unnatural at some points, but I am sure this can be rectified easily.

Best

Anand

• Thanks, glad you like it!  :-)

• Hi Alan,

I have to agree with all the superlatives distributed here. This is indeed a great piece of wonderful music: well constructed, rich and very varied orchestration, good sounding and a tribute to the VSL instrument libraries. As your music is very comprehensive and tonal, it is easy to understand and love. It doesn't require special 'skills' and perseverence to finish the listening, quite at the contrary, it invites for more because of its beauty and richness. The orchestration is so wealthy and always thrilling. You are a true master at it! Fantastic.

Max

• last edited
    last edited

Thanks so much for the kind words! ๐Ÿ˜Š

If you are interested, I have lots more music on YouTube.

Although I do sometimes use libraries other than VSL, I have never done a piece without VSL at the core

Here is my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alan+belkin

@Max Hamburg said:

Hi Alan,

I have to agree with all the superlatives distributed here. This is indeed a great piece of wonderful muzic: well constructed, rich and very varied orchestration, good sounding and a tribute to the VSL instrument libraries. As your music is very comprehensive and tonal, it is easy to understand and love. It doesn't require special 'skills' and perseverence to finish the listening, quite at the contrary, it invites for more because of its beauty and richness. The orchestration is so wealthy and always thrilling. You are a true master at it! Fantastic.

Max

• Thanks Alan for the hint. I will certainly have a closer look and listen!

Max

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on