Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• VEP 6. How Many Licenses?

Hello there dear fellow musicians,

I have a very rudimental question, as I am but a novice in the wonderful world of Vienna.

So, int the descriptions of the VEP6 product, it says that it comes with "3 licenses for a multi-computer set up".

Now, it may be my aweful english, and probably it is, but I don't understand if it means:

1 Master + 3 slaves

or

1 Master + 2 Slaves

Could anybody clarify that for me? I would be tremendously grateful

Thanks

• It could be either. There, is that better? :)

If you host samples on your master computer, then that uses on of the 3 licenses. If not, you can use all 3 on slave systems.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • mmh...interesting.

But how can you run VEP on three slaves without having a copy on the master to connect to?

I'm confuesed

• Hello Lorenzo, 

You only need a license for the computers that run a VE PRO SERVER. 

The VE PRO Plug-in that connects to those servers from your DAW does not need a license. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

Is there a way to just buy 1 extra server license if you already have 3 ???  

I would for example like to have one on the daw itself. I find that its more stable then the instrument racks at times. So would be nice to have 3 slaves and also let your master machine have 1 liscense too total of 4

@Paul said:

Hello Lorenzo, 

The VE PRO Plug-in that connects to those servers from your DAW does not need a license. 

Best, 
    Paul

• Hi, 

VE PRO always comes with 3 licenses in a package, single licenses are not available. Currently still introductory prices for VE PRO 6. 

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hello Lorenzo, 

Best, 
    Paul

Hi Paul,

So, in theory, if I don't use VEP 6 on the Master Computer, I can have up to 3 Slaves, is it correct?
    But if I want to use VEP 6 for the master computer as well, then I can only have 2 Slaves. I am planning on hainv some of the libraries on my master as well, that way I can have everything handled by VEP 6, for consistency's sake. What would you reccommend, Paul? Having ALL the sounds on slave machines, or having some of them on the Master machine too? Which of the two tend to work better, in your experience?

Kindest regards

Lorenzo

• Hello Lorenzo, 

Unfortunately I can´t answer that, it depends on your computers, your expectations and your workflow. 

In your case, I´d probably start with 1 powerful master and 2 slaves, and take it from there. 

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hello Lorenzo, 

Unfortunately I can´t answer that, it depends on your computers, your expectations and your workflow. 

In your case, I´d probably start with 1 powerful master and 2 slaves, and take it from there. 

Best, 
    Paul

Okay, so having 1 Powerful Master with some libraries on and 2 slaves with the rest of the libraries.
    I see. The computers I am putting together are quite powerful with a lot of RAM, so I am not expecting to run out of power anytime soon.

Thank you for your advices