Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,440 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• There are many variables in figurng out the best setup for your particular workflow. It was pretty much trial and error to come up with something that works for my setup and how I like to operate.

Personally, I would rather have multiple slaves machines running i9's than big beast running Zeons. Which is better? again, it depends...blah blah blah. :)

NIC= Network Interface Card

I have had good luck putting multiple NICs in my machines and then all my VEP connections are run thoug their own switch. Here is what I am running in my PC's.

• Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXPI9301CTBLK
    • NetGear 5 Port switch (GS105NA)

I use RDP to control my machines from my main DAW, but I have it on its own network. I dont run anything else across my VEP network connections. I block the VEP app at the firewall level on the nics I dont want popping up when trying to connect a RACK instrument.

Another thought: While this forum is helpful, there are other resources much more active where these kinds of topics are discussed alot. VI-Control is one that I have learned a lot from just reading other peoples discussions on the same topics myself. There are many users of VEP on that forum. This forum is useful too, particularly with VEP issues. But, it can also have alot of cricket sounds at times when one is asking for suggestions. Just my experience. YMMV

https://vi-control.net/community/

• So, I studied a little bit online, and tried to make a configuration for a Slave computer.

Do you think this system would be optimal for a Slave to be used with VEP and large orchestral templates?

Would these components cause any issue/incompatibility if used together? 

SLAVE CONFIGURATION:

Processor: 16 Core Intel® Core™ i9-7960X (2,8*GHz) 22 Mb cache

Motherboard: ASUS® PRIME X299-A : ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 Gb/s

RAM Memory: 128 Gb Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666 MHz (8 x 16 Gb)

Graphic Card: 2 Gb NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 1030 - DVI, HDMI

Hard Disks:

Boot Disk: SSD EVO 1 To Samsung 860 2,5 SATA 6 Gb/s 

Libraries Disk: SSD EVO 4 To Samsung 860 2,5 SATA 6 Gb/s 

Power supply: CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ 80 PLUS GOLD

Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S Performance

External Case: FRACTAL DEFINE R6 NOIR 

LAN Port: PORT 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN (Wi-Fi Not included)

Other Ports: MIN. 2 PORTS USB 3.0 ET 6 PORTS USB 2.0 back + MIN. 2 PORTS front

Thanks a lot again!

• Seems like a nice box. I dont have any experience with the i9.

• UPDATE:

I'm running some tests to understand where my current bottleneck is when playing lots of voices from many orchestral VSTs, from my current Mac Pro setup.

- I need to use a high buffer in the audio card to avoid the real time playing getting stuck.

- Kontakt "disk" light goes often to red. Almost always, in busy passages.

- In the mac's "activity monitor", the cpu usage stays under 25%, which seems good to me.

- The 20 Gb of RAM are almost entirely used as soon as I open a busy cubase project.

This makes me understand what follows, but please correct me if I'm wrong:

- I need to switch to SSD drives to avoid glitches and kontakt "disk" to go to red.

- Cpu seems to dojust fine for now

- I need more ram.

- Willing to add a slave system, the current Mac would be released from all the cpu and ram work with samples, so it should ran smooth, perhaps I should just use SSD as boot drive, and add a bit of RAM on it, but processor should be fine, if working mainly with samples?

What do you think? 

Thanks again.

• Are you running VEPro on your MacPro? If not, that is where i would start and run it as local host to get all your VST's outside the Cubase processing space.

What is your audio interface?

• My audio interface is an Apollo Quartet.

I still have to buy VEP, I don't use it yet! I'm looking forward to use it in master/slave configuration. All I'm trying to understand is if I can keep using my Mac Pro as master, and a new powerful pc as slave to load VSTs with Vienna, and if all of this setup will solve my current problems, or if there will still be a bottleneck caused by my processor on the mac pro (3,33 GHz Six Core Xeon dated 2012...)

Thanks

• I would try VEP in local host mode right on your current DAW, before even buying a slave machine. You might be suprised and not even need another machine.

• last edited
    last edited

+1

I use a late 2013 MacPro (3.5 GHz; 6 cores Xeon E5; 64 Gb Ram; SSD). Full orchestra set-up (about 60-80 tracks) with VEP and Logic (buffer = 512 samples) : always below 35-45% available processing power. I tried Synchron Strings too with success.

Much simpler to manage than the master/slave configuration (which I used a few years ago).

Claude

@Synetos said:

I would try VEP in local host mode right on your current DAW, before even buying a slave machine. You might be suprised and not even need another machine.

• Thanks for chiming in Claude. 

Can I ask what's your usual workload with orchestral libraries? Which ones do you use, Spitfire, Orchestral Tools?

Also, what were the complicate things to handle in a master/slave configuration? I know there would be a learning curve to do some thing but....which would be the constrains of having all libraries on a slave through VEP ?

• Hey folks,

I'm continuing my journey to build my first slave computer to be sued with VEP and my Mac Pro master...
    For the slave motherboard, I'm trying to understand which one would work at best with a i9-7960X processor.
    I was almost going to pick a Asus Prime x299-A, but then a guy on another forum told me that this motherboard doesn't have a strong enough VRM for my processor, because the processor is a HCC= High Core Count.

Now, the other options available on the website of the company that will build my PC are:

- Asus Rog Strix X299-E
    - Asus Rog Rampage VI Extreme (expensive…worth?)
    - Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO

I have zero experience, could you advise if any of this will give justice to the 

i9-7960X prcessor and allow it to work at full power?

Thanks in advance to anyone that will chime in and help!