Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,759 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• VEPro Windows 10, RAM question/issue

Hi,

I've got a template setup within VEPro that I use within Cubase 10 8.5 (all on one machine).

I've got an issue in that the RAM that VEPro uses seems to get transferred to the System process (looking at the Win 10 Task manager). In other words, VEPro will indicate usage of around 12GB of RAM, but will then drop and the System process will drastically raise until VEPro indicates c. 2GB usage and the System c.10GB.

This seems to lead to performance issues when playing back instruments which I don't get at first when this RAM is indicated as being used 'directly' by VEPro.

I have 32GB RAM, and the total RAM indicated by the Win10 Task Manager doesn't go beyond c.60% total usage for all processes.

My understanding was that this may be a Virtual Memory issue, but if I set the system to 'No paging file' I still get the problem. 

Any ideas what is going on here?

Many thanks, James

----------

Cubase Pro 8.5.10 | Win 10 Pro | East West  / Quantum Leap Stuff | Pianoteq 5 | Ample Guitar AGT | Friedlander Violin | Valhalla Room | Valhalla Vintage Verb | Reason 8.3

i5-4460 | 32GB  | UR242 | Acuna 88

• last edited
    last edited

Hi James,

Wow, you already have Cubase 10?

I´d definitely double-check that you are using the latest version of Vienna Ensemble PRO, and please tell us which plug-ins and versions you are loading in your VE PRO template.

Do you get different behaviour when you leave out, e.g., PLAY?

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

Hi Paul,

I think I'm pretty much up to date, but I'll go through things tonight to check and get back to you.

Many thanks, J

@Paul said:

Hi James, 

I´d definitely double-check that you are using the latest version of Vienna Ensemble PRO, and please tell us which plug-ins and versions you are loading in your VE PRO template. 

Best,
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Paul,

I have updated Cubase and VEPro5, plus all plugins (Play, Kontakt, Pianoteq).

I created a test template from my actual one that has only the Play plugins (my template uses this for 90% of instruments so I thought it may make things easier). This Play version is the latest version 4.3.2.

I still get the problem 😞

This move of RAM usage from the VEPro process to the System process doesn't seem to happen straight away, but after something like an hour and possibly when I haven't used Cubase for sometime. I *believe* this is how virtual memory is meant to work, but as I said it still does this even if I disable paging (and I have plenty of RAM left; total usage hasn't exceeded 50% today). The process doesn't reverse itself if I then use Cubase after this, by the way.

Any ideas?

J

@Paul said:

Hi James, 

Best,
    Paul

• Hi,

VEPro does not use any additional service for allocation, and VSLs instruments all use proper memory locking for allocated pages. The architecture and operation of your 3rd party plugins is (un)fortunately out of my hands.