Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Space effect

Hello to all.

I need help on how to get a good "space" effect in a performance of a Big Band.

(1 Trpt Trbn Tenor + 1 + 2 + 2 Alto Sax Tenor Sax Baritone Sax and 1)

I used:

- Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 + Vienna MIR Pro 24 +

- MIR RoomPack Vienna Konzerthaus v.2.0.285 (Brass settings)

- Cubase 7.5

I dislocated the instruments according to the traditional position of a Big Band: Saxphones on the right; Trumpet and Trombone behind the sax., rhythm section on the left with Piano.

I left the reverb setting that used by RoomPack Vienna Konzerthaus as well as equalization (brass) while increasing the each instrument volumes.

I left the defalut location and the type, of the microphones.

The final effect is decent, from my DAW, but there is not the envelope effect when you listening by headphones and it's the same by the another device such as eg. from the speakers of my PC (5 + 1) ... here, you don't have the effect of "space" typical of when you listen an live orchestra.. the ensemble sound  does not have the panoramic effect.

Can someone help me? Is there some tutorials to help me solve this problem? I have to change the type of microphone and its position for each instruments section ?

Thanks in advance ... and I'm sorry for my english ;-)

L52

• First and foremost you will have to decide which Venue is the proper one. Given the fact that you seemingly have to rely on RoomPack 1 (Vienna Konzerthaus) only, I would suggest to give "Neuer Saal" a try, because I think you're aiming for a quite dry and controlled bigband sound and not the classical orchestral hall. Use Main Microphone Position 1 with a configuration that fits your needs, maybe adding a few dB from a Secondary Microphone Position in the center of the hall and proceed from there.

Make sure that the format of the Main Microphone setup is the one you're actually aiming for (5.1 surround, if I read your question correctly?) - otherwise the result wont be the desired one.

BTW: The perfect choice would be "ORF Funkhaus Studio 3" from MIR RoomPack 2 - Studios & Soundstages: This marvellous hall has been built in the 1950ies especially for the (back then) so popular jazz bigbands. :-)

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

First and foremost you will have to decide which Venue is the proper one. Given the fact that you seemingly have to rely on RoomPack 1 (Vienna Konzerthaus) only, I would suggest to give "Neuer Saal" a try, because I think you're aiming for a quite dry and controlled bigband sound and not the classical orchestral hall. Use Main Microphone Position 1 with a configuration that fits your needs, maybe adding a few dB from a Secondary Microphone Position in the center of the hall and proceed from there.

Make sure that the format of the Main Microphone setup is the one you're actually aiming for (5.1 surround, if I read your question correctly?) - otherwise the result wont be the desired one.

BTW: The perfect choice would be "ORF Funkhaus Studio 3" from MIR RoomPack 2 - Studios & Soundstages: This marvellous hall has been built in the 1950ies especially for the (back then) so popular jazz bigbands. 😊

Kind regards,

I thank you so much.

I have not Neuer Saal ..... in the meanwhile I could try 2 microphones as you have told me .. 

What kind the microphone for "maybe adding a few dB from a Secondary Microphone Position in the center of the hall and proceed from there."? and what do you mean wiht "dB"?

thanks again

L52

• Your licence for RoomPack one includes the Venue "Neuer Saal". If you don't see it in your Venue Selection dialog window, then clearly something went wrong with the installation.

... have you already seen the video tutorial this site offers for MIR Pro users?

-> https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Software_Package/Vienna_MIR_PRO#!Video_Demos

And "dB" is the common abbreviation for Dezi-Bel, which is a measure for volume. What I meant to say is "add a bit of the Secondary Microphone, according to taste". -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Kind regards,

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Your licence for RoomPack one includes the Venue "Neuer Saal". If you don't see it in your Venue Selection dialog window, then clearly something went wrong with the installation.

... have you already seen the video tutorial this site offers for MIR Pro users?

-> https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Software_Package/Vienna_MIR_PRO#!Video_Demos

And "dB" is the common abbreviation for Dezi-Bel, which is a measure for volume. What I meant to say is "add a bit of the Secondary Microphone, according to taste". -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Kind regards,

Hi,

I see the Venue "Neuer Saal", BUT MIRx and Veneu preset are disabled?! ... is it normal? ... 

thanks

• https://forum.vsl.co.at/topic/36481/MIR PRO V S MIR X/224338

• https://forum.vsl.co.at/topic/36481/MIR PRO V S MIR X/224338

• Like I wrote above: MIRx presets (which are "ready-mades" for each and every Vienna Instrument) are only available for four selected Venues: Vienna Konzerthaus Großer Saal, Vienna Konzerthaus Mozartsaal, Teldex Studio Berlin, The Sage Gateshead Hall One.

For all other Venues there are suggested starting points for Main and Secondary Microphone, Room EQ and the like (this is what we call "Venue Preset"), but no detailed settings for indivdual instruments (... which MIRx is all about).

Kind regards,

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Like I wrote above: MIRx presets (which are "ready-mades" for each and every Vienna Instrument) are only available for four selected Venues: Vienna Konzerthaus Großer Saal, Vienna Konzerthaus Mozartsaal, Teldex Studio Berlin, The Sage Gateshead Hall One.

For all other Venues there are suggested starting points for Main and Secondary Microphone, Room EQ and the like (this is what we call "Venue Preset"), but no detailed settings for indivdual instruments (... which MIRx is all about).

Kind regards,

Thanks ... 😉

• ... in my next post I attached my little test of Big Band and Space effect ... 

• .... what do you think about my little test about Big Band ... and space effect?

1 Tprt Bb,1 Trbn,1 Alto Sax,1 Tenor Sax,1 Baritone Sax

thanks in advance

L52