Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,917 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Monocompatibility

Hi,

I use vsl with MIRx "Großer Saal".
    With the help of the mid/side EQ I want to take away 1-2 dB of two or three small frequency bands in the mid to add these 1-2 dB complementarily on the side. This will happen in the Orchestra sum bus which is then routed to Stereo Out.

If I press MONO in the Stereo-Out I only hear the MID signal but not the frequency bands I "routed" to SIDE.

In my opinion the Software MONO-switch in my Stereo-Out bus is not a proof of monocompatibility, which should be MID+SIDE=L+R channel.

I hope I made clear what I intend to say...

Best regards,Adorno

• Hi Adorno,

Technically it doesn't make any difference whether you sum your L+R channels for mono repreduction, or you extract the M-component by means of an M/S-matrix. Summing M and S signals derived from the outputs of an M/S-encoder is _not_ what audio engineers call mono, usually. :-)

Does this answer your question?

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Dietz,

thank you for your fast reply.
    This means that the frequency bands I reduced in the mid will also be reduced in the Stereo Out which is set to MONO. Like this:

STEREO: MID+SIDE or left + right
    MONO: MID+SIDE or (left+right)/2

So I have to come to the conclusion, due to the loss of signal I routed to Side, to ensure monocompatibility I should not route frequencies to the side although it sounds better in Stereo?

Best regards,
    Adorno

• As soon as you sum L+R, every signal component that is out-of-phase (i.e. "stereo") will get wiped-out. But there can be other components with less out-of-phase (read: more "mono") content in a neighbouring frequency range which are still affected by the M/S-EQ you apply, therefore the sound of the mono downmix will change, too.

Bottom line: There is no perfect L+R summing of a stereo signal, because otherwise the source would have to be free of out-of-phase information from the very beginning. So the decision is up to you, in the end: Either beautiful stereo and (maybe) less mono-compatibility, or good mono and boring stereo reproduction. :-)

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library