Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,773 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 37 new user(s).

• Swtiching between different legato patches on one melodic line

Hi Everyone,

I have a question in regard to different legato patches.

If I have a legato line and I switch between a fast legato, a legato trill, a normal speed legato, and lets say a legato patch with sustains in 4 layers and so on, do I still get a legato transition sound that connects each patch as you switch between the patches?

Also, how do you implement the way you used to do 'ghost' note transitions from the Kontakct libraies in the new Vienna Pro Player?

For example, you used to be able to start a melodic line with a sustain patch, and then follow it with a legato patch, but the "ghost" note [which was the first sustain patch sample] would be followed with a legato transition sound to the second note of the melody.

Thanks if someone can help me out here.

best,

Steve:-)

Thanks

• It doesn't matter what articualtions your start note is, you will always get a transition if the next patch is a legato patch, providing that the gap isn't too big.

DG

• Does this apply as well to every velocity layers? I assume if I play on a p velocity layer, I will still get a transition?

• Hi DG,

thank you for that information. I do appreciate that.

best regards,

Steve :-)

• last edited
    last edited

@nektarios said:

.... I assume if I play on a p velocity layer, I will still get a transition?

Correct.

Keep in mind that the volume of the transition sound depends on the velocity of the following legato articulation and not on the previous note.

Best

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • Hi Beat,

thanks for your contribution here. I have a question related to this - If I am using velocity x-fade to control my dynamics on a legato patch,  and, lets say by using the mod wheel set to midi value 1 to control the x-fade, velocity of the actual note will not play a role in this case at changinig the volume of the legato transition note will it?  - as the actual sound of the note and the legato transition will now be controlled by the modwheel and not the velocity of the note - am I correct here?

So, if it does, the level of the legato transition note between the legato samples is then related to how high or low you're value on the mod wheel [from 1-127], is set.

But if it is not related to the value of the mod wheel, that means if you want the legato transition to be heard louder or softer - you need to go into the piano roll in your DAW and adjust it with your mouse manually.

I'm Just re-reading this post before I hit the post button, and hoping that I put my question correctly - I'm finding it a bit difficult myself, as to how to word this question. Sorry if it is a confusing one!

Thanks if you have any thoughts on this Beat.

best,

• Hi Steve, 

As soon as Velocity Xfade is activated, the Note on Velocity is overruled. Should be very clear when you test it.  

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hi Paul,

thank you for answering that question. Much appreciated as always :-)

best,

• Thank you guys for this clarification.

Cheers,

Nektarios

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Steve

@Paul said:

Hi Steve, 

As soon as Velocity Xfade is activated, the Note on Velocity is overruled. Should be very clear when you test it.  

Best, Paul

Thanks, Paul, for giving the answer for me.

In addition to Paul's post and just as a further help in connection with X-Velocity:

If the X-Velocity effect reacts a bit "weak" you can intensify it by changing the parameter at "Advanced/Patch/Velocity Curve". This curve translates the midi-dynamic range into the audio dynamic range. The curve is valid for the midi-velocity and the X-Velocity as well. Some articulations are coming with a very low dynamic range by default (the dim/cres articulations for example...).

A lot of success and

of course all the best to down 'under and you Steve.

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • Hi Beat,

thanks for that extra info. That will be really helpful. Yes, the best for the upcoming new year to you also Beat!

I'm sure you will have a wonderful year :-)

cheers,