Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,273 users have contributed to 42,390 threads and 255,477 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 23 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

  • Two questions about VSL SE Vol. 1 bundle - flutes and harmonics

    Hello, dear forum!

    I'm looking forward to becoming a new member of the VSL users, but before I purchase the VSL SE Vol. 1 bundle, I would like to ask two questions:

    1.) Flutes (for instance). Vol 1 adds Flute 1 to the list of available woodwinds. Most of the time, one has two flutes in an orchestra. So, can I use two instances of Flute 1 in order to have this orchestration or will I run into problems like phasing (especially when they are playing unisono)? The same thought goes for the other instruments in the brass/woodwinds section.

    2.) Harmonics. The SE only includes artificial harmonics. Although I am aware of the principle difference between natural and artificial harmonics in "real life", I want to know whether the "artificial harmonics" exclude certain pitches which are only achievable with natural harmonics samples? Especially the "low ones"? Or do I have "chromatic" harmonics at my disposal with the SE? I would like, e.g., to achieve a sound like in the last couple of bars in Shostakovich's  15th symphony (heard it the other day - it was amazing and I thought: I NEED HARMONICS! :D).

    Thanks a lot in advance and hello again! :)

    Lukas


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Another User said:

    2.) Harmonics. The SE only includes artificial harmonics. Although I am aware of the principle difference between natural and artificial harmonics in "real life", I want to know whether the "artificial harmonics" exclude certain pitches which are only achievable with natural harmonics samples? Especially the "low ones"? Or do I have "chromatic" harmonics at my disposal with the SE? I would like, e.g., to achieve a sound like in the last couple of bars in Shostakovich's  15th symphony (heard it the other day - it was amazing and I thought: I NEED HARMONICS! :D).

    Personally, I haven't had any issues with harmonics but I rarely use my SE anymore.  If I remember correctly, the instruments in the SE are sampled at whole tone then transposed to fill in the half steps and I believe they are sampled chromatically but somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Another User said:


    Personally, I haven't had any issues with harmonics but I rarely use my SE anymore.  If I remember correctly, the instruments in the SE are sampled at whole tone then transposed to fill in the half steps and I believe they are sampled chromatically but somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

    So there should be all pitches available... or at least transposable...
    Would be interested in what others say about that.

    Thanks to you!


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Another User said:

    So there should be all pitches available... or at least transposable...
    Would be interested in what others say about that.

    The range of the artificial harmonic patches is G4-D7 for violins, C4-A#6 for violas, C3-D6 for celli, G2-G5 for basses (extendable by 4 semitones in both directions if you own Vienna Instruments Pro). Playing a note will give you the harmonic one octave above, meaning if you play a G4 it will sound a G5.


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Another User said:

    The range of the artificial harmonic patches is G4-D7 for violins, C4-A#6 for violas, C3-D6 for celli, G2-G5 for basses (extendable by 4 semitones in both directions if you own Vienna Instruments Pro). Playing a note will give you the harmonic one octave above, meaning if you play a G4 it will sound a G5.

    Thank you, that's very detailed. 😊

    Kind regards,
    Lukas