Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,396 users have contributed to 42,223 threads and 254,777 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• [/quote]

Yes but more importantly than volume, mutes change the sound of the instruments. A muted violin does not sound like a violin played quietly. It's more about getting a softer texture rather than a softer dynamic if you get what I mean. [/quote]

Ahh... I see.

I remember some years back, somebody was boasting on the forum about how they layered I think it was the orchestral strings with the OS mutes and the "glorious" sound it produced.

@ Nektarios

What if you layered AP Strings with AP Mutes + OS with OS mutes + Dimension Strings with Chamber Mutes + Solo Strings with Solo Mutes would that create the BIG string sound you're after?

• last edited
    last edited

Thank you Jasensmith. I keep forgetting that I have the mutes, and I can always use them to sculpt my sound. Although what you suggest would be a bit too much for what I aiming. What I'm aiming for really, if it was a live orchestra, would be: 20 Violins, 20 Violas, 30 Cellos, 30 Basses, and always wondered what is the best way to layer my VSL libraries to achieve that setup. Here is the different libraries of how many players they have:

Appassionata:

20 Violins
    14 Violas
    12 Cellos
    10 Basses

Orchestra:

14 Violins
    10 Violas
    8 Cellos
    6 Basses

Chamber

6 Violins
    4 Violas
    3 Cellos
    2 Basses

Dimension Strings

8 Violins
    6 Violas
    6 Cellos
    4 Basses

I guess there many ways of combining them to get the setup I want....

@jasensmith said:

@ Nektarios

What if you layered AP Strings with AP Mutes + OS with OS mutes + Dimension Strings with Chamber Mutes + Solo Strings with Solo Mutes would that create the BIG string sound you're after?

• That's true, mixing muted strings in gives you a VERY nice sound!

• One of the questions I always have when I combine multiple string libraries, is how do I combine them so it sounds like they were recorded with that number of players. For instance, if I layer Appassionata with Chambers, we are talking about 26 violin players. The Chambers, obviously, have a microphone position far closer than the Appassionata.

What I have figured out, but still not sure about it, is use the Appassionata as my reference EQ. So I would match EQ the Chambers to the Appassionata (playing the same note, i.e., C4) and then adjust the level lower. When I do this, the Chamber Violins start sounding very much like the Appassionatas but as if there are only 6 violins and the microphone position sounds farther away. I also did this with the Dimension Violins. So interesting to hear! Obviously, I believe I can do this as all libraries were recorded in the same room.

• "I was trying to create a veeery soft passage, so I pushed my Velocity xFade all the way down to 1, and even though it was much lower in volume, it didn't have the soft texture of a ppp velocity layer. "

To have the impression of a really soft passage it is more likely to suceed if it has come from somewhere else, by which I mean it follows a louder section! Also use of level and distance in the mix helps to crate the softness. I find these really soft textures are achievable with the VSL samples just a cae of the correct dynamics.

However soft the samples are if they are too loud in the listening environment not only do they start to loose their softness you start to hear the bowing noise quite strongly which not only sounds like a hiss aslo makes it sound harsher.

Julian

• Yes, I agree. That's why I would not push the volume up for soft passages. On the other hand, the sound I really like, is when a large number of strings play soft passages.