Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• The APP's - need some clarification

Good morning,

I've gone thru the APP video tutorials over and over again and now I am beginning to understand it. There is only one issue, the tempo. In a video where it is explained how to make those yourself the tutor says that he set the tempo to 120 being on the save side. Ok for that.

One can set the playback to follow the tempo of the midi-input or set the tempo yourself by checking out that little button and lower or raise the tempo in the appropriate box. As an example I am looking at the perf-trill matrix and notice that the tempo is set to 145 and the host tempo box is off. Does this mean that the sequence of notes is always played at that speed? This may sometimes too fast, depending on the tempo and nature of the piece of music at hand.  I can lower the tempo of course, but in another section I really need that pre-set tempo or even higher. I cannot alter that tempo on flight from a notation program, so I have to design different matrices with different tempi.

At the other hand, setting the button "follow the tempo" makes this superfluous and the tempo adjusts according to the tempo of the MIDI. But then when having an overal tempo of e.g. 45 Bpm some trills are performed far too slow on e.g. 1/4 notes.

You see the dilemma? Should I design some variations myself using the given matrix (-ces) as base? Or am I overlooking something?

Another question: looking at the sequence picture of the perf-trill matrix preset I also see some numbers written in the "note-boxes" (here 4, 5 and 2). Where does that come from and what does that mean?

Greetings,

Raymond

• Hello Raymond, 

Great to hear that you like the APP Sequencer. 

The linked timing can be helpful, but it can also be in the way.... In my opinion, the best way to deal with it is to load multiple matrices and adapt them to your needs (samples will not be loaded twice!). 

Regarding the numbers: these are the numbers of the repetitions, you can see the corresponding repetition for the selected note all the way to the right in the bar above the sequencer window. If there is no number, it is set to "auto". Herb added "forced" repetition notes to avoid that you can hear a loop with the trills. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

In my opinion, the best way to deal with it is to load multiple matrices and adapt them to your needs (samples will not be loaded twice!). 

Excuse me for butting in but I find that this method works well for the time stretching feature as well.  You can load up multiple matrices with varying potamento speeds, for example, which makes more sense in an orchestral context.

• Good (almost) night,

many thanks for both your replies. Tomorrow, Monday, I will have a closer look at those "techniques".

Raymond