Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Is VEP suitable for this setup?

Hey guys!

I'm thinking about starting to use VEP5, and wanted to hear from you experienced users and VSL team if you see any problems with my plans.

I'm not using VSL or other sample libraries too much, I'm mostly mixing. What I'd like to do is to expand the computing power of my current setup. I run a Macbook Pro as my main machine, and I want to add a Mac Mini, which I would use VEP on with Screen Sharing.

On the Mac Mini running VEP I would mainly like to use one heavy chain of mastering plugins on the output bus, as well as running a couple of instances of synths like Omnisphere and Diva. But mainly I would use on instance on VEP on my master bus in Logic, in order to save my main machine from the strain of these heavy plugins while mixing and mastering.

I'd like the project in VEP to change with each new project I'm loading up in Logic.

Can VEP help me achieve these goals, or is there something I should consider before trying to set this up?

• Friendly bump.. Would love to have some feedback on this!

• Hopefully some Logic users will be able to help you in detail, but from my knowledge there are two things to be aware of:

1. If you use the audio input feature of VEP, be aware that the audio is not returned to the same track, so you will actually need a master bus routed to VEP and a return one in Logic. It's not an issue as long as you plan your template around this,.
    2. Be aware that everything running on your master channel will be running on 1 core if that channel is in live mode, so you will need to organise your project to make sure that this is not the case, or you will get overloads.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Peter,

If you have an eLicenser key, you should definityl check out if VE PRO fits your workflow.

As you already have some of our products, you can get a fully functional demo license on the VE PRO 5 product page.

These demo licenses work for 30 days/30 starts.
    Once the 30 starts are used up, you can recharge them as often as you like by clicking "Maintenance" in the eLicenser Control Center (within 30 days).

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thank you for the answers!

Paul, right! I didnt think about that since I dont have a slave computer yet, but I guess running VEP on the same computer to try things out should give the idea about the basic performance with the setup I'm after.

• Hi Peter,

That´s true, the system is the same whether the VE PRO Server is on the same computer or on a slave computer. 

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL