Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,476 threads and 255,916 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Symphony #6, 1st movement by Jerry Gerber

last edited
    last edited

This movement combines samples from VSL's Pro Edition with software synthesis. (12:15)

Music

Score

Hope you enjoy listening!

Jerry

Website

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Jerry,

This is quite an impressive score (although missing some performed elements like dynamics, trills...) The two synths are a bit surprising but really functional and contrastive. A detailed and very varied orchestration. You are a real master at it! The only thing I miss a bit is the orchestral depth. It would make it easier to follow the main themes in the different sections and provide some more acoustic realism.

As a whole, this is fantastic: a serious and elaborate piece of orchestral work with a crafted instrumentation and sound construction.

Bravo ⭐ ⭐⭐

Max

• last edited
    last edited

@Max Hamburg said:

Hi Jerry,

This is quite an impressive score (although missing some performed elements like dynamics, trills...) The two synths are a bit surprising but really functional and contrastive. A detailed and very varied orchestration. You are a real master at it! The only thing I miss a bit is the orchestral depth. It would make it easier to follow the main themes in the different sections and provide some more acoustic realism.

As a whole, this is fantastic: a serious and elaborate piece of orchestral work with a crafted instrumentation and sound construction.

Bravo ⭐ ⭐⭐

Max

Max,

The score reflects the fact that this is a virtual orchestra.  It is a piece for electronics, not acoustic instruments. There's no need to give instructions to players regarding dynamics, phrasing, breathing, bowing, etc. because there are no players.  All of this information is, of course, programmed abundantly in the MIDI sequence; writing them out in the score is unnecessary and redundant.  My goal is not to fool the listener into thinking this is a recording of a live orchestra, but rather to create an interesting and engaging piece of music using computer technology.    Thanks for the kind comments!

JG

• I was impressed by your score.  I also like your attitude towards not trying to convince listeners that they are listening to the real thing.

Mark

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on