Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,429 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,792 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• I think the 432 Hz examples just sound like a flat piano. 

• Include my vote for lower (and higher) tuning. A432 would be useful for careful reproduction of mid-19th century Italian opera and some Baroque repertorie (for example, Bach's 'chamber pitch'). From A415 (or even A409) to A430 would be great for music from Baroque to Classical. A466 would be Bach's 'choir pitch', useful for organ and cornetto music.

Adding these extremes would let Chamber Strings and Historical instruments play at the same pitch of their ancestors, and would make mixing with replica instruments much easier. 

Paolo

• last edited
    last edited

@PaoloT said:

Include my vote for lower (and higher) tuning. A432 would be useful for careful reproduction of mid-19th century Italian opera and some Baroque repertorie (for example, Bach's 'chamber pitch'). From A415 (or even A409) to A430 would be great for music from Baroque to Classical. A466 would be Bach's 'choir pitch', useful for organ and cornetto music.

Adding these extremes would let Chamber Strings and Historical instruments play at the same pitch of their ancestors, and would make mixing with replica instruments much easier. 

Paolo

It ssem to me as if it's already all there:

- "Lower (and higher tuning)"?

Just make use of the pitchwheel CC and you can easily raise or lower the tuning however you want to.

- pitch reproduction of "mid-19th century Italian opera and some Baroque repertorie", "music from Baroque to Classical", " organ and cornetto music" ?

Make use of the "Matrix-Scale" Frature in the Matrix Tab of VI and load that certain historicly correct tuning yo need.

• Steffen, the pitchbend trick can be easy with a single instrument, but not if you are simulating the full Lully's orchestra. It can done, but it is quite laborius.

Historical temperaments are, if I'm not wrong, applied to the relative pitches, after you find the correct diapason. So, whether you are working with A440 or A415, they should preserve the same relation between notes in a scale.

Paolo

• Interesting conversation...

• last edited
    last edited

@Silver said:

Just download VI from the MyVSL downloads section. It comes with all VSL's instruments. You don't need the pro version to do this.

It probably should be said that The Vienna Imperial has its own player. It does not work within The Vienna Instruments Player or The Vienna Instruments Pro Player...

Just an FYI.

• Hi, I have to agree with Paul. Having used many midi controller keyboards over the years I have found that the Lachnit keyboards are simply in a different class for touch and playability. They are quite expensive, but do you get what you pay for. Regards, Roy

• last edited
    last edited

@PaoloT said:

Steffen, the pitchbend trick can be easy with a single instrument, but not if you are simulating the full Lully's orchestra. It can done, but it is quite laborius.

Paolo

It sem to be a matter of copy and paste if you set the pitch for one instrument just copy that CC-Value ant paste it to the tracks of all other instruments whlie to do this in VI would be at least as tedious since you have to set this likewise for each instrument seperatly ( if not even for each Matrix of each VI-Instance which would be even more tedious).

OK I admit it would be for your need a bit smarter to do that either in your Sequencer or in VE something like a global masterpitch. (I even dont really know if there isn't already something like this) but at least you can at least achieve what you want  - it is not impossible 😉