Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,590 users have contributed to 42,243 threads and 254,862 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• 2.  It is exactly what I do since Yosemite

But you did not answer my question concerning the server of Play. The " Technology moves on and backwards compatibility is not forever " is not an satisfactory answer,

because for example the Kontakt server function normally in VEP 32 bits under Yosemite!! It is you even who say it !!

• Well, that may not be a satisfactory answer to YOU but to those of us who have worked with technology a long time we know that is simply the reality. It happened with Play first apparently but eventually it will happen with Kontakt as well. 

And BTW, I got curious so for the first time in 2 years I opended the VE Pro 32 bit server and created 5 projects, each with a Hollywood Strings instantiation: Vln 1, Vln 2, Viola, Celli, and Basses and it is not crashing here.

• Are you the only one who have worked with technology a long time ??? Wowww !!

The reality is an issue with Play 4( his memory server ) in Yosemite and you don't want to admit !!

Vln1, Vln2 Viola, Celli and Basses in VEP 32 , how much memory used by VEP 32 in Apple memory monitor, and your Play server in this memory monitor how much memory ?? In Yosemite ??

And what to say to the memory server of Omnisphere and Trillian which functions always as well in VEP 32 under Yosemite?? The only server which does not function with Yosemite it is Play 4!!

In any case I cannot agree with you on this problem.

• Fine, then by all means feel free to continue to focus your energy on what no longer works instead of doing what does.

• Ok one is well of agreement, Play 4 does not function normally and it is well for that I more and more often make use of Kontakt !!

And indeed you are right, I do not want to waste my energy with people who do not answer the questions and who want nothing to admit rather than to seek the problem!!

good continuation, cordialy

• So one supposes that EWQL should be clear on its website that expecting Play 32-bit to work is unreasonable because it doesn't, it isn't "backwards compatible".
    "The 32 bit server is for any remaining 32 bit software instruments you use." I did not know that! I believed that both instruments and FX worked in VE Pro.

• last edited
    last edited

@aptmusic said:

Kontakt and PLAY

Well, this isn't going to happen, the two memory servers will not coexist in VE Pro. It isn't that 32-bit won't work, this is the actual issue. So you will have to accept this. I think NI is not going to respond to making noise about it a lot better than EWQL (although should you try on the latter's forum, expect deletions if not a ban); for this to change all three vendors would have to cooperate and work on it, and this didn't happen when memory servers was more of a thing than it is today.

At one time Play would not work at all in VE Pro. Of course EWQL said this wasn't up to them, even though it required them to address it before it did work. It was quite some time before this happened iirc.

• The solution is very simple. If you turn off the Kontakt memory server, which is not really necessary, you can then load both Play and Kontakt v-frames in thesame m-frame in VE Pro's 64 bit server. Anyone in the LA area is wlecome to come to my studio if they choose not to believe me and I will prove it to them as long as they promise to come here and report what they observed.

Or load Play in the 64 bit server and Kontakt in the 32 bit server. Why is this a problem?

• One does need to separate the two. I did not find that turning KMS off a solution. Whether I believe you or not, my experience was 'Isolate Play or die'. But I believe that KMS is necessary when it is, :shrug:

Yes, Kontakt and Play in the same instance is not necessarily necessary. :) So it's not that "32-bit no longer works", we have a situation that never worked. The OP has nothing to do with this does it?

• Once again, it is simply not true and i can prove it here at my studio. If I could figure out how to post a picture here I could also show it :)

• While Play+Kontakt in VEP will sometimes work, often it will not. It seems totally dependent on the order in which patches are loaded and what patches/libraries you are actually using.

VSL team pointed out that both Kontakt and PLAY are not programmed in a very nice way, which can/will lead to problems. This is what we are seeing here apparently, but as I already said, I doublt neither will do anything about it until it becomes such a massive problem where people generally can't get it working. So we'll see if it gets to that point sometime. It seems the use of custom GUIs in Kontakt is really something that has brought forward massive problems. And apparently the QT function calls/iLok code of PLAY can crash as well.

• last edited
    last edited

Mr Ashermusic, because your are not the only one who have worked with technology for a long time

I suggest you looking at the two videos which I published on Youtube.

When you speak about evidences, I bring them to you.

The first in Yosemite with Play 4.2.2 in VEP 32 Bits :

The second in Mavericks with Play 4.2.2 in VEP 32 Bits on my Mac Pro 2008 in Slave :

In the two examples the patch of Play 4 are all Master Keyswitch Patchs !!

I suggest also to you to ask Eastwest to make a update quickly to regulate the problem!!

FULL STOP !!

• I just tried this with keyswitch patches in the VE Pro 32 bit server in Yosemite. . (There are no "master keyswitch patches in the Hollywood Series, only EWQLSO so hiopefully I loaded what you did (sus-short). I was able to successfully load them for HS Diamond Vln 1, Vln 2, Vla, Celli, and Bass, and then HB Diamond for French horns, 3 Trumpets, 2 Trombone and Bas Trombone, and Solo Tuba. I continued with HOW Diamond Piccolo and then when I tried to add Flute at that point  it did indeed crash.

I then tried the same thing in the VE Pro 64 bit server and loaded KS patches for all HS, HB, and HOW instruments with no crashing.

Personally, as a composer who uses these tools and gets paid as a Logic Pro consutant to help others use these tools effriciently,  I have zero interest in how a 64 bit capable plugin behaves in a 32 bit host in a 64 bit OS version that was released only a week or so ago. 

But if you do, email me the issue and I will gladly pass it on and see if the Play developers at EW do.

jasher@eastwestsounds.com

• Thank you for your answer.

Have you tried to see in Yosemite if the memory server of Play 4 load something when you start loading sounds in VEP 32 with Play, because this is the issue and only that !!

• No I have not, and since I am not an EW tech support guy, only an alternative conduit to it,  and since as I wrote I have zero interest in ever doing that or advising anyone to do that, I am simply not willing to spend any more time on it. Email the issue to me if you wish and I will pass it on.

• Uh oh. It was just mac but now this is happening on my PC when im not even using it. VEP crashed at 12:30 am after I had gone to bed. So the verdict is I need to have PLAY in a seperate instance of VEP? Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Vienna Ensemble Pro\Vienna Ensemble Pro x64.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: Vienna Ensemble Pro x64.exe Application Version: 5.3.0.13407 Application Timestamp: 543ceed0 Fault Module Name: play_VST_x64.dll Fault Module Version: 4.2.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 53ebc6f5 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 000000000043abdb OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: 3968 Additional Information 2: 39682f3000a2d9dc64cba4a848ea36bf Additional Information 3: ea1c Additional Information 4: ea1c62f35b10d9140270a9580334cb08 Extra information about the problem Bucket ID: 74591633

• My observation as a user of NI Kontakt and Play, hosted in VE Pro with occasional other instrument plugins. There are two things going on here.
    I had to isolate Play first of all due to the need for memory servers for it and Kontakt before these were 64-bit on Mac; and second of all Play was not playing nicely with anything at that time.

Currently I find that crashes frequently involve elaborate GUIs which at times do not play nicely within VE Pro. My main culprit is FXPansion BFD2 as a 64-bit plugin; which crash reports contain a lot of stuff about Apple GUI handling. I have this when the only other plugins are Vienna Suite.
    It could be that Play issues involve a fight in the sandbox with other things, ie., Kontakt although I can't verify this in my system, I think it was some hinkiness with Play and corruption or garbage somewhere in its path. But you may find that separating it from eg., Kontakt as per your setup at this time alleviates this.

And you may find that it is a certain Kontakt library's GUI [eg., LASS, Orchestral Tools Berlin] that isn't going to cohabit with Play, and even with a certain Play library.

• I'm having PLAY crashes in VEP too now. http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=49245