Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,741 users have contributed to 42,255 threads and 254,897 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 4 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Fortepiano implies a note that is played loud and suddenly silenced, forced into a lower level, you can think that is played one dynamic level higher than the surrounding notes and then suddenly one dynamic level lower. Sforzando implies a note that is played in a higher velocity than the surrounding notes, but some brass players will use it as an excuse to blare the note, so watch it.

• Thank you!

• Thank you! I wish there was an "Articulation Reference Guide" document that describes what each articulation is, and how to best combine each one. Some are straightforward, but others are not. For example, I still don't get portato. I understand a bit the concept when it's played on slow melodies (as you slur you emphasize each note), but I don't understand how one would play a fast melody (1/16th notes) as portato.

• Consider any sample library as buying an instrument. When you buy a clarinet you do not get any hint how to play it - at best you might get some basic fingering chart, if it is a very cheap instrument aimed at beginners. But to learn the capabilities of it you will need at least a self teaching book, or get a teacher.

To use the instrument "VSL library" you also need to know (or learn), what to to with it. Best way would be to get some books on orchestration. There you'll find your "articulation reference guide".

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I swear theses guys must stay up late nights trying to figure out how to confuse their customers.

[url]http://vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40515[/url]

Here is some articulation info that may interest you:

[url]http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/37423.aspx[/url]

[url]http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/37492.aspx[/url]

[url]http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/37849.aspx[/url]

• I agree with BachRules, and I definitely do not consider buying a sample library like buying an instrument -- it's not the same at all (apples and oranges). I think VSL is a wonderful and amazing product. Love it! But me being a software engineer for Wall Street firms, I can see the documentation is not thorough. I really appreciate that they take the time to answer all questions, but they must not assume their users are expert musicians. Even though they have great video tutorials, those tutorials are burried behind the site. The link to those videos should be the first thing you see when you enter vsl.co.at when you enter the main page. I sometimes end up finding these videos as I search on YouTube. These advanced concepts should be documented somewhere. I was shocked that nowhere did I find a description of performance legato/performance repetition etc. If that is a selling point for VSL, DOCUMENT IT for God's sake!

• Shopping for sample libraries can be quirky. It must be immensely confusing and not very encouraging for an inexperienced potential customer to pull the plug. They might look at the products page and ask themselves: do I need the Special Edition 1 and 2, or should I go for the Super Special Bundle 3, or perhaps the Extra Extended Edition 1 + 2 or maybe two of the Standard Download Instruments along with an Full Collection of Sis-boom-bah? Then they might head over to Spitfire Audio and think: well, they have a fancy website and moody artwork with airplanes, factories and old people, but the product descriptions speak about murals, brushstrokes, earth, wind and fire or sound swamps. What am I actually getting? And then they look up the EastWest page and go: there's this thing called Hollywood Strings and lucky me, they're having a -150% discount on it this very moment.

• It took me a while to understand VSL as a product but I am glad I settled with VSL though. During my research, I even emailed Hollywood composers for their opinion and all I got is a "each library has it's own sound" type of response.

Between DVD (or now Collection Instruments), Special Edition, Single Instruments etc. Why not keep it simple? Make it one product and one name! In the end, the more articulations you buy, the more you pay. Why have two or three categories and upgrade paths? As matter of fact, this can be a lucrative thing for VSL if they can sell articulations for libraries. For instance, they could introduce more articulations for Appassionata, and as people need them, they buy them. I see a lot of great articulations in the Solo libraries, that I wish were in Appassionata or Chambers, but they are not. The model they have now, if you buy a full library, your done. No chance you will get more articulations.

Changing gear now, me as a newcomer. I am wondering, what is this expression slider in VIPRO? I open the documentation, I go to reference number 9, and I see: Expression ï‚· Sets master expression volume. ?????? And what is expression???? Sorry for my venting.......

• Thank you BachRules for your reference points. I am just trying to make a point that this information should be available in a manual instead of being hunted in a forum.

• last edited
    last edited

@nektarios said:

Thank you BachRules for your reference points. I am just trying to make a point that this information should be available in a manual instead of being hunted in a forum.

I'd put it in a manual. More informed users -> more better music -> more people saying "that sounds great, what library did you use?" -> more sales; but that's just me. If it were easier to get information about VSL, it would be easier for me to choose VSL when I'm deciding which library to use for a project.

• Yeap! I sometimes feel I should start this document and have everyone contribute to it. Not sure I am at that stage yet.

• Great answer. Very helpful for me, too ! Thank you.

Raymond

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on