Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,773 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 37 new user(s).

• Dynamic Range Scaling

Hi all,

Apologies, I'm about to ask a question to which the answer should probably be obvious.

I'm a bit confused about the Dynamic Range Scaler. Am I correct in thinking that altering the slider changes the *volume* at which samples are played back (as in if the slider is at the bottom, pp samples sound as loud as ff ones, albeit with a different timbre)?

The manual says that the slider scales the velocity floor setting in the Slot Editor globally, but I must confess I'm not quite sure how that bit works either. Again, the Edit section of the Slot Editor changes the volume at which samples are played back?

So what would I use to alter which samples were selected, rather than their playback volume? For example if I played a melody mf on my keyboard, but wanted VI to play the mp samples. Is that possible?

Many thanks. Sorry if anything in there is confusingly worded.

Pyre

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59Mhz Processor, 64 GB RAM, Windows 10.0.19045, Cubase 10.5.20, Sibelius 7, VEP 5.4.16181, VIP 2.4.16399, Symphonic Cube, MIR Rooms 1-5, Suite, Choir, Organ, Imperial, Solo Voices, Dimension Strings, Historic Winds, World Winds
    1. Global Dynamic scaling is as you describe; the actual volume difference between ff layer and pp layer is either bigger or smaller, depending on which way you move the slider.
    2. The Edit section of the Slot Editor does the same, but on a patch by patch basis, rather than for all patches at once.
    3. The mf to mp question is not possible in VI Pro, except to say that if you are using velocity xFade, the keyboard velocity would be irrelevant. The solution is either to play the correct volume in the first place, or to use some sort of input transformer in your sequencer that automatically takes a bit off your input velocities.

DG

• Fantastic, thanks very much for clearing that up :-)

I had wondered if there were a handy way to input transform the CC data used for velocity crossfade, to quickly see if the velocities I've drawn would sound better with everything 10 MIDI points higher, for example, without having to redraw it all. Never mind, hardly the end of the world, thanks for your help.

Pyre

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59Mhz Processor, 64 GB RAM, Windows 10.0.19045, Cubase 10.5.20, Sibelius 7, VEP 5.4.16181, VIP 2.4.16399, Symphonic Cube, MIR Rooms 1-5, Suite, Choir, Organ, Imperial, Solo Voices, Dimension Strings, Historic Winds, World Winds