Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,761 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Codes for Custom rules in Notion 4

Hi,

Is there a special code for VI Pro to write custom presets in Notion 4? Josh (Notion Music) has given the code for VI, VE and VE Pro, but not for VI Pro.

And is there any way to access the VSL presets for Notion 4 (in order to study them and to possibly improve them to my needs? I can't open them with Text Wrangler, they are in a not readable code.

Thanks,

Jos

• Hello Jos!

I'm not sure which code you are talking about. You can load VI Pro Presets in Notion from the Notion Score Setup menu "VSL Special Edition PRO".

In order to study the loaded presets simply open the "Staff VSTi Interface" (menu Tools). They can't be read with a text editor.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • I think you mena the playback rule set. They are in XML and can be opened in any text editor. On a PC they are in C:\Program Files\Notion 4\Support\PluginData\VSLPRO_v2\Rules.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • That's not exactly what I mean. I mean the way the VSL instruments (SE in this case) work. I can see in the VI (Pro) instance that e.g. the technique mostly used is sustain, for almost all situations. Détaché is never being used and even for very short notes, sus is the only technique. That behaviour has a major disadvantage: even with 'star't and 'attack' set to 0, the strings are ways too slow to play rapid passages, runs, trills... (unliess you use the pre-defined trills). Portamento doesn't work properly either, despite of the promises they made at Notion music. They go back to the preveding note instead of the following.

So I would like to have some insight in the way these techniques are designed to br able yo handle these flaws.

Jos

• Hello Jos!

The Notion team did a good job in programing all the rules for our Special Edition and SE PLUS collections. If you don't add any articulations to your score, the sustain patch will be played. In order to use other articulations, please add the according notation marks to your score. For example you can add the "semi-staccato" (-) symbol in order to trigger detache.

I agree that the sustain patch doesn't work very good for fast passages. Legato will work better. In order to trigger legato, simply add a slur.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on