Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Increasing Virtual Memory?

I have a PC laptop with 4-core and 8gb ram. I'm using Sibelius 7 and VE Pro, and I'm running orchestral template with Wind and Brass Single Instruments, Harp 1 single instrument and Timp and strings on SE 1+. According to the Resource Monitor 74% of physical memory is being used. During playback CPU usage moves between 62% and 100%.

Would there be any benefit in increasing the Virtual Memory above the factory setting? Or would changing it cause problems? Also, would upgrading to the Orchestral Strings Bundle be possible on my present laptop?

Phil

• last edited
    last edited

@Phil Walton said:

Would there be any benefit in increasing the Virtual Memory above the factory setting? Or would changing it cause problems?

no - since data loaded into the preload buffer is marked as *do not store in virtual memory* - and even if the OS would ignore such a flag it doesn't increase performance.

virtual memory physically resides on a harddrive (usually the system volume), so such data had to be transferred to and from the harddrive twice:

- loading from disk to memory, moving to virtual memory (again on disk)

- loading from virtual memory (disk) to memory to processor ...

using a bigger collection is always possible (given you have enough space to store the content), but also computer memory (RAM) will always be filled with the amount of articulations you are loading into your project. more patches, more RAM ...

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.