Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,089 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 40 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Problem with VEPro5, Event Plugins, VSL and DP

Demoing VEPro5,
    Merged six 16 midi channel vframes of VSL instruments (96 VSL Instruments) into one VEPro5 vframe which uses 6 midi ports. Midi port 1 is controlled directly by DP, midi ports 2-6 are controlled by 5 Event Plugins in DP, all VEPro5, Event Plugins and aux audio input tracks are loaded into a vrack in DP.

All VSL Instruments play perfectly when played in realtime on midi input through DP. As soon as I hit Play or Record on DP the midi to the VSL Instruments being controlled by the Event Plugins mutes, NO SOUND. The VSL Instruments using direct midi (port 1) work in play and record as they are supposed to.

At the same time, loaded 16 instances of Mach Five hosted in two 8 midi port vframes on my PC slave, with 7 Event Plugins for each vframe. This all works great in play and record from DP. No muting (and no dropped notes (so far), by the way).

I'm only having the muting problem on instances of VSL Instruments which receive midi from Event Plugins.

I've tried this both in DP 8.05 and DP 8.04, same result.

Loading the 96 VSL instruments into 6 vframes which each receive direct midi from DP works fine (no Event Plugins), but the extra instances of VEPro5, along with my 16 instances of Mach Five in two 8 midi port vframes put such a huge strain on DP's horsepower that it's unusable unless I increase DP's latency to 1024 (from 512) which is too much latency for me.

I'm in touch with VSL customer support, but in the meantime, do any of you have any suggestions for a solution?

Thanks!

Host: DP 8.05 on Mac Pro 2 x 3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 16 GB ram, Sys X 10.6.8 

Slave: PC, GRack 2U, Core 2, 2.5 9300 Quad 4U, 16 GB ram, Windows 7 Pro

Vienna Instruments 5.3.12675

• My conclusion, after 3 solid days of troubleshooting, is that the Event Plugin is useless in DP for adding midi ports to vframes of VSL Instruments, at least on my system. Event Plugins don't work at all for VSL Instruments when they're loaded into a DP Vrack (they mute midi when the sequencer plays). VSL tech support suggested loading the Event Plugins directly into a sequence rather than into a DP Vrack. I tried that. Up to 3 Event Plugins works, but as soon as I enable a 4th Event Plugin the midi mutes on all Event Plugin midi tracks when I hit play. I need 5 Event Plugins for all my VSL to all work (96 VSL Instruments), so I hereby give up on Event Plugins for VSL Instruments!
    I decided to load the 96 VSL Instruments into a 6 vframe VSL load without Event Plugins. I changed VEPro5 preferences (set them identically on Mac and PC) to allow 16 midi ports per vframe, and loaded 16 instances of Mach Five 3.2 into one vframe, using 15 Event Plugins in DP to direct the midi. Everything works, including playing from the sequencer, but the CPU load is rather large on DP. I'll risk it for now, until DP supports VST3 (hint to MOTU!).
    Thanks for listening...
    Host: DP 8.05 on Mac Pro 2 x 3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 16 GB ram, Sys X 10.6.8 
    Slave: PC, GRack 2U, Core 2, 2.5 9300 Quad 4U, 16 GB ram, Windows 7 Pro
    Vienna Instruments 5.3.12675