Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,759 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• First Effort - Dimension Strings - Borodin Trio G Minor (Excerpt)

OK, here's my first attempt at using Dimension Strings with Notion:

https://soundcloud.com/tensivity/borodin-trio-in-g-minor-ve-pro

Recorded in MIRPro Sage Two with MIRacle Enhance.

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

Michael

• Quite an interesting work, Michael.

As a Notion user myself, it would be nice to know how much effort it costs, eg. do you wrote custom rules for it?
    Best regards

VI Special Edition 1-3, Reaper, MuseScore 3, Notion 3 (collecting dust), vst flotsam and jetsam
  • Fabio, Hi, I see your postings over on the Notion boards regularly, so I know that you're a Notion user too!  Thanks for your response.

No custom rules.  That would be beyond my abilities at this point.  This piece required very little effort to convert from VI Pro to DS.  I replaced the VI Pro patches in the current Notion presets for Violin and Cello with DS patches (after saving as a new name, of course!).  It sounds more difficult than it is.  It's time consuming and tedious, but to do the small little excerpt took me about 20 minutes or so to switch all the patches for three instruments.

However, that being said, I am certain that I am only using Dimension Strings to about 10% of it's creative technical potential, since the presets for VI Pro in Notion address only limited samples available in the huge DS libraries.

I do think the DS samples themselves are a little more open and realistic in terms of raw sound than the VI samples.  That will keep me happy for a while.  In the meantime, VSL is still working on the viola and bass samples, and I'm holding out hope that Notion might develop presets for the DS library.  If not, then I guess I can look at Sibelius as an alternative in the future.  VSL publishes soundsets for DS for use with Sibelius, but I'm not adept enough with Sibelius to figure out how to use them.

Ciao from San Francisco,

Michael

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on