Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

181,835 users have contributed to 42,188 threads and 254,610 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 30 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

  • VE Pro 5 & Tempo Change [Solved]

    Hi,

    I'm experiencing an odd issue and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

    I have a point in a cue I'm writing where 'business picks up'. I make a tempo change in Cubase 7.0.6 (PC Windows 7) to double the tempo. I'm using the Soundiron Apocalypse bass drum ensemble to introduce a beat. At the same time as I change tempo (jump) from 72 to 144 I change time signature from 6/4 to 7/4.

    My BDE hits (1st bar of new tempo/time signature) are on 1,2,3,4.5,5.5,6.5. The first hit plays fine, the second cuts out after a few miliseconds then the release plays at the right place, the third skips entirely and the rest play fine. In the second bar (identical rhythm) all hits play fine.

    If I don't do a tempo change - everything plays fine. If I host Kontakt 5.2 directly in Cubase and keep the tempo change evrything plays fine. I have tried a couple of other drum libraries and the result is the same - so it isn't unique to Apocalypse. I am using VEP 5.2.12808 and Apocalypse is hosted on a Slave PC running WIndows 8.0

    Can anyone think of a setting I could consider adjusting to make this problem go away?

    Thanks,

    David.

    PS. 13:16 2013 11 04: I just tried it hosted in VEP locally and it works fine so the issue just seems to be with the remote slave. All machines are Gigabit Ethernet.


  • Update:

    More results; not necessarily any clearer.

    I have tried hosting on a different slave PC - no issues, everything plays fine. All settings for VEP identical. All settings for Kontakt identical. Only 66% of memory used.

    I then tried running a Taiko instrument on the 'Problem Slave' using Best Service Engine instead of Kontakt - issue replicated; then tried a Taiko from Stormdrum 2 using Play 4 - same result -  so it doesn't seem to be Kontakt related - but seems instead to relate to running via VEP on this specific slave.

    Both 'Good Slave' and 'Bad Slave" are running Windows 8.0. 'Bad Slave' is an i7/ 2.67 GHz/ 64bit with 12GB RAM and samples on a SATA III SSD drive - so it should be butch enough to run smoothly. The Ethernet adapter is up to date and the Ethernet cable new and tested there is a dip in ethernet activity shown in the task manager graph during the glitch - which I guess indicates that VEP isn't transmitting at that point.

    The glitch occurs at the exact moment the display at the bottom of VEP changes from 72 to 144, which is about 1.5+ seconds after the tempo has changed in Cubase (the tempo change for 'Good Slave' is about 0.20 sec later than Cubase).

    Hope someone has more lights switching on than I have [:^)]


  • Does it also happen when the VE Pro plugin has its latency buffers set to 'none'?


  • Hi,

    Just tried it with both Zero and 4 (my usual setting is 2) - results identical, no difference.

    I just spotted this thread:

    https://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/32858.aspx?PageIndex=1

    Key differences in my case:

    1. Seems to afect all plug-ins
    2. Processor jumps to zero during glitch, not 100
    3. Turning off Kontakt sync has no effect
    4. Issue only affects one Slave - the other is fine

    Cheers,

    David.


  • OK, at least for me, I have found a solution.

    Bearing in mind the experiences of others I decided to try one single instance on the 'bad pc' with only the bass drum loaded in a single Kontakt plug-in. It worked fine.

    So I then set about a process of trial and error with the project metaframe (2 instances VEP, 13 Kontakt, 4 Massive, 1 Zebra 2) deleting, switching off sync and so forth until I arrived at a culprit. If I have Soundiron Rust 2 'All Untuned Ensemble (Lite or Full) loaded with Kontakt tempo sync switched on (for that particular hosting Kontakt plug-in) then all instruments on that VEP instance exhibit the tempo change related drop-out (even though the Rust instument has none of it's sync features 'switched on' in the GUI). Interestingly, despite seemingly identical functionality within Rust 1 and Rust 3, they don't cause any problems.

    So from there it's pretty straight forward to come up with a work-around. The lesson I guess is that a single instrument can cause performance deteriation for an entire VEP instance - so the trial and error approach is always worth a try - even if it doesn't seem to make any sense. As I don't host any Vienna Instruments on that slave I wasn't able to see if VIP would have been immune - but as the issue seemed to be affecting VEP, I suspect it wouldn't.

    If VSL has a working relationship with Soundiron this might be worth a mention if any other Rust/VEP users can replicate my issue. Similarly, if so, it might be worth bringing NI into the loop so they can issue guidence to developers to avoid whatever scripting causes this issue if they want to be VEP-friendly.

    Cheers,

    David.


  • I tried this, but it happens with too many different libraries...

    BTW This thread shouldn't be marked as "solved" The solution was a work around that doesn't really work for other people and the basic problem is still there.