Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,762 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,922 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• MIR orchestral setup video demand

It would be great input, if VSL team can produce some instructional video about setting up MIR Pro in real full orchestra situation, I mean really complex video. I am generally happy with what I am doing in MIR, but I have problem setting instruments to sit within reasonable overall volume of composition and preserve dynamics which is much greater in orchestral music. I am not talking about cinematic examples right now, but rather about classical symphonic work. I know that everything is about orchestration, instrumentation and so, but it would be really helpful if MIR can be explained in greater detail. Thank you.

PS. Will be the presets of instrument locations included in MIRx available to MIR Pro users in future?

• last edited
    last edited

We will most certainly make more video tutorials for MIR Pro, but actually working with big setups doesn't differ that much from working with smaller ensembles, technically. In the end, it's mostly about taste, individual workflow and musical preferences. 

In the meantime, you might also take look at the examplary projects available from your VSL User Area ("Venue Presets") to get your hands on some full-blown, ready-made setups as well as some fine-tuned "empty" halls:

-> http://www.vsl.co.at/en/68/428/1957/1622.htm

@icecubeman said:

[...]

PS. Will be the presets of instrument locations included in MIRx available to MIR Pro users in future?

Yes! 😊 Like stated before, we work on the full implementation of MIRx settings into MIR Pro. This new feature will offer all the ease of use of MIRx while allowing for any changes to them that might be needed. The reason why it takes us so long are some health-issues of MIR Pro's main software engineer, Florian Walter (... but luckily he's fine again now). Thanks for your patience ...

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thank you very much for response, I cant wait for this new MIR implementations...

• As far as setting up the volume of each instrument, fortunately VSL provides "Natural Volume" if you'd rather not mess with the volume of each instrument yourself.  These clever VSL elves have thought of everything, haven't they...

• I just stick to this natural volume function and I am going to completely remix project. I hope for better result....

• last edited
    last edited

@icecubeman said:

I just stick to this natural volume function and I am going to completely remix project. I hope for better result....

This is certainly a good method to start with - but don't be afraid to change any volume setting whenever you feel the need to do so! 😊 You can always go back to the initial levels by one mouse-click.

BTW - it might happen that the overall level of you mix is quite low when using Natural Volume (due to the fact that lots of headroom is needed for a few very loud instruments). Just raise the master bus' output level, or (in case of MIR Pro withing VE Pro) select all channels and raise their volumes simultaneously.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • My problem is that forte passages hits peak level in some situations so I need to decrease overal volume and the final mix is very quiet about -24 RMS. I know that classic music is much quieter than pop but the fortes doesnt even sound huge in my mixes and in loud passages it starting to sound like from bathroom, I must figure this out...