Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,417 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,786 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• First: this is not your forum--it is our forum. That is, it's all of ours. It's a community. We should not have to be exposed to your hostile language. It is uncomfortable and unnecessary. 

Second: you don't have to be a computer geek to get it, but if you're working in this world––esp, but hardly exclusively with VSL––you better know at least a thing or two. If you don't, be humble enough to learn. Unfortunately, you can't wake up one morning and have the chops if you don't have experience. This isn't entry-level software, but it isn't rocket science either. It takes some effort and investment. It's not the job of professionals making professional gear to also make it immediately accessible to all users regardless of experience. It's their job to make it as accessible as possible relative to what it is. I hardly think VSL has failed on this point, and they are hardly haughty. They help anyone and everyone regardless of the problem and experience, given that they are cooperative. Even then they help.  Anyhow, this is not really the issue in this case. The matter is not one of great complexity. Just a little learning and patience. 

Third: Yes, setting up a basic multi-output instrument ought to be managable from the first. This doesn't mean that you are above reading the manual. Getting "buried" in p49? Go to the contents, look up Logic setup, go to that page, read the sentence, or look at the picture that tells/shows you to click on the "+", and you're all set. In other words, sorry if all of this can't be gift wrapped to you. You might have to do what all of us have done at one point or another, and continue to do--learn.  Try learning an Eventide.  Your head might explode. 

Fourth:VSL tech support is among the best I've encountered, and I've been around the block a few times. A simple click on the support link, if you are not inclined to read the page in the manual, would do wonders. Most likely, the response would resemble the manual, insofar that this isn't a problem per se, but an end-user knowledge issue, which the manual makes fairly clear. A less hostile attitude, and I'm sure many forum members would have gladly helped. I know they have with me, esp when I was new and had little idea about what I was doing. And when the owner asks you to refrain from the use of hostile language, it's probably a good idea to oblige, or at least to be a bit more cordial.

Finally: In answer to your question, "who...wants to get buried in page...49 of a pdf?" well, I do, if it will help. I mean, it's a page. And a PDF. It's not The Phenomenology of Spirit after all (I'd avoid that one, btw.)  

• [quote=Paul]Adding a multi-timbral instrument in VE PRO 5 is described on page 49 of the

Thanks Paul. The manual says:

>Multi-timbral plug-ins in Vienna Ensemble PRO
    >If you are using multi-timbral plug-ins like Vienna Instruments PRO, Omnisphere or Kontakt...

When did Vienna Instruments PRO become multi-timbral? AFAIK the Vienna Instruments player operates in MIDI 'omni mode' and can't assign different sounds to different MIDI channels.

• last edited
    last edited

@Conquer said:

When did Vienna Instruments PRO become multi-timbral?

You can assign different ouptuts on Matrix level inside VI PRO. This is useful if you want to process certain sounds within an VI PRO instance differently.

For example on Matrix is performing regular articulations and another one muted articulations. This enables to stay within one VI PRO instance for a dedicated instrument and applying different EQ, Reverb, Compression plugins within VE PRO.

best

Herb

• Thanks Herb - just to be clear, the audio can be separated routed within VI PRO as you described, but the patches still all play the same MIDI part? I always took "multi-timbral" to mean *MIDI* multi-timbral.