Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,590 users have contributed to 42,243 threads and 254,862 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• This is still happening. At 1st if I took Altiverb out of the project it would fix the problem, now it does it all of the time. Makes it impossible to write

• I have found a solution that works for me and hopefully others. 1. Delete all of the Event Inputs for a single VEP5 instance. 2. Change one of the midi tracks that is routed through any of those Event inputs to directly route through the VEP instance 3. Play notes and you will no longer hear the droped notes 4. Undo the deletion and change the midi track back to route through the Event input. 5. Should be working fine now. Note: you have to do this each time you open the project, but takes a minute.

• This issue has nothing to do with plugins, 3rd party reverb, etc.  because it is happening on a standalone VE5 instance with nothng but some MIR FX on it - no other plugins.  I have had it happen on sequences played by an external MOTU MIDI Express XT 8 port interface.   I am having stuck notes on string parts when I stop a sequence.  This stuck note problem never happened to me before with VE so it makes me think it is a new bug that has crept into the later upgrades?  I notice that it does not happen all the time - basically if you have several whole notes playing when you stop the sequence, they do not stick, but do when it is a more complex line you stop in the middle of.  Especially I had the impression that it was when the sequence was stopped just as notes were switching or transitioning rather than just sustaining.

• So, no hope for DP users then? It's been way to long….

• last edited
    last edited

@imzadim said:

or DP users then? It's been way to long….
    Did you try my workaround? I have been using it for a few weeks now and although a pain in the butt, it seems to work flawlessly

• I can replicate this issue easily if you'd like me to make a screen video. Usually it's Kontakt libraries with high voice counts or multiple mics (like Cinebrass or CS2). Happens A LOT. When I stop using my sample based WW libs and use WIVI, the issue almost goes away. Possibly a bandwidth, timing, sync or latency issue?

Would loved this fixed more than ANYTHING. I rely on DP everyday. Would be glad to help if needed. Do Logic users have this problem? I've tried using the VST version of some of the related plugins instead of AU, and maybe it helped?

Regards, Steve Steele https://www.stevesteele.com
  • We would like to see this work with DP8 too. Sort of a nightmare with event inputs.

• Yes, it's a bit of a nightmare here...

I'm slowly moving to Cubase for this reason (although Cubase is having some other big issues as well)

• Has there been any progress on this? I know VSL's stance has been that it's a MOTU issue, but it is still going on. Things seem to work fine as long as we only use certain plugins that come in contact with the VEPro returns. IE we can get away with sending a VEPro return to a ProVerb or Waves RVerb plugin, but instantly get stuck notes if we make it an Altiverb or Lexicon Plugin.

This has been going on ever since DP 8 and has been a real drag as we are limited in what we can mix with.

Any updates would be appreciated. Thanks!

• You keep on ignoring what I said - that it happens WITHOUT DIGITAL PERFORMER IN VE PRO 5 STANDALONE.  How many times do I have to say that?  It is not a DP issue.  If it is - then explain why it happens in standalone also.

Stuck notes occur in the standalone version triggered externally REGULARLY whenever a large group of instruments is playing something complex.  So switching to another DAW is totally pointless.

• William, you must have a different issue - the stuck notes issue that we are discussing is unique to DP - this has been confirmed by Audioease developers, Vienna and MOTU. The issue with plug in handling has been identified and isolated and MOTU devs are aware of it. A fix was due in the last DP update but for some reason it wasn't included. 

How are you using the event input plugin with stand alone VEP? This is surely a different issue.

Also - with regard to altiverb - with the very latest version, they have worked around this issue so it now works with out a problem. I've been using Altiverb along side VEP and Vienna Event Input in my last 3 projects and the note drop outs have not re occured. 

•  It is not unique to DP, so that indicates it is something other than DP. Perhaps an interaction with that program and VE exacerbates it but the fact this happens in the standalone version - with no plugins other than MIR - indicates something else is causing it within VE Pro.  And this never happened with any previous version of VE/VI.  I have used it since it was first created and never experienced this until now.  

by the way I notice this happening only on one of three slaves I am using - two of the the same configuration exactly but one of them running strings alone.  Also, the number of instruments is not very large, just the complexity of the parts. For example on just a string section of five instruments, all of them have stuck notes if stopped in the middle of a sequence with some CCs playing, fast notes, etc.  So I am not talking about gigantically complex scores at all. 

• William - 

Please don't be so confrontational.

The issue myself and others such as Labman are talking about IS DP SPECIFIC - this has been conformed by **extensive** testing and replication and has been CONFIRMED BY THE DEVELOPERS OF DP, VEP, AND ALTIVERB!!! The plugin handling code that gets tripped up in this case has been identified so PLEASE DON'T ARGUE

Your specific issue is not DP exclusive beacause it is a different issue manifesting in similar behaviour. I'd suggest that there is more troubleshooting for you to do locally as all of us can run very complex sessions here, even with the event input issues (utalising various work arounds).

You'll get to the bottom of your issue by methodically troubleshooting - not by blaming an unrelated bug which has already been identified and put on the list for developers to fix.

• That's not confrontational.  That was my being nice. Also DON'T TELL ME PLEASE DON'T ARGUE.  You want an argument - that's how to get one.

However - An unrelated bug?  How would you know that? I seriously want to know that.    Also, it was put on the list by VSL?  Where did you get that information?   I heard absolutely nothing from them on the issue.

• William,

Why are you so confrontational? We are all here to help each other.

As I already said, there is a but relating specifically to dp's plugin handling code tripping up in scenarios where the event input plugin and certain effects plugins are in the same project.

I know this as I have had word from the team at Vienna and motu. It is being fixed and it is motus issue

I know your issue is unrelated beacause it's yours is exhibiting issues under a different scenario.

All of us here are happy to support each other but you need to stop being so aggressive and confrontational and trust that there are guys here who know what they are talking about.

Your issue is specific to your system beacause, let's be honest, you're not the only one using vep for complex projects, and if everyone's setup was broken then there would be 1000s of complaints. You need to methodically eliminate things one by one and you will solve it.

I've just finished scoring a tv series using vep locally and on a slave machine running many many instances of kontakt... No note dropping issues.

You might want to also eliminate specific kontakt instruments as kontakt 5 has some known issues with certain types of scripts, utilised by both ni and third parties. 

And if you haven't already, get in touch with support if your troubleshooting is inconclusive.

i know beyond any doubt that your issue isn't the same as the one myself and others on this thread have identified beacause our issues are solved by taking ether dp,  event input or the offending audio plugin out of the equation. In fact I made up a project that exchiits the behaviour on one track and not on another routing to the same instrument track within vep, just to demonstrate the issue.

if you want help, explain your issue in detail including all software versions, libraries and plugins running when the problem occurres.

• What irritates me is you act like your problem is a real one but the one I have is just my screwed up system - it isn't.  There is no more troubleshooting to be done.   And  I already did everything you suggested, listing system details etc. - you didn't see that on the other thread -  but NOTHING has been addressed or changed.   Other people using the standalone system have had this problem also - something else you were not aware of with your assumption that it is a problem unique to my system which is not messed up at all except for this specific error which never occurred until the last two versions of VE Pro. 

• William. I sympathize with your headaches, but this thread is specifically for those having issues with stuck notes in DP as the thread title suggests.

You may want to start another thread to discuss with other users solutions to stuck notes with the standalone version. If there are many others out there with the same issue, I'm sure they would appreciate discussing solutions and findings with you.

Let's keep the threads on topic though so that those experiencing this specific issue with DP in particular can share information and findings that will be more likely to be specifically helpful since they will have similar setups.

Thanks so much!

• We are discussing a specific issue, the source of which has been identified. You are saying that this is not the case. It doesn't help anyone. These have to be two different problems, both are very real but there is a specific dp bug. 

Are you saying that the motu and Vienna developers are both wrong.

We are all trying to get to the bottom of out issues and your language from your first post here has been argumentative. 

A few of us have spent many hours troubleshooting the dp / event input issue and I've personally worked with audio ease on this to help identify the plugin handling code that was being tripped up. As a result the latest version of altiverb works around this issue.

i don't know why you are calling me a liar on this, I can show you all the correspondence and test results.

• Just a thought.... Has everyone with the dp issue made sure they've contacted motu? The ball is in their court to fix the problem code... They have identified it but I've heard that the fix isn't easy. If we all make sure we stay in contact with motu they may well prioritise it.

• I emailed MOTU last week, referencing this thread and got this reply.

"There was a separate issue with the VEP Event Input plug-in that was resolved in DP 8.04 (most likely the issue that Dave was referring to), but there is still an ongoing issue with stuck notes when using Event Input plug-in. 

Hope that gets everyone here on the same page at least. I'm glad they were striaght with me about it (which they always are).

I've actually been doing exactly what is recommended in this reply. For now, a lot of my percussion section is in DP (I use MIR Pro for those if needed), and some solo instruments and various other things that would require the Event Input, I have either moved them to DP (but I try to keep DP under 6GB of Real Mem usage), or I create a new instance (which I've done for the brass section). Since I'm using the ARC in LASS almost exclusively right now, I can get away with one instance of VEPro for the string section.

Please keep sharing any info or updates. 

Thanks!

Regards, Steve Steele https://www.stevesteele.com