Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,816 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,931 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• So I listened to them again. They are covered in reverb for a start. That's not a great way to go for me. That's just me though. They sound nasal. They are not sounding good exposed. Maybe they will sound different when they play in unison or whatever with the rest of the strings. I don't know. 

They sound compressed as if they've been pushed together from either end. Not good. This is how they sound to ME.

Reference - Quested 2108 monitors and an Apogee Ensemble. Also through HD600s.

If that isn't a good enough reference then it's obviously my fucking ears that sound wrong. I don't want to look at my emails and find yet another post that disagrees with what I'm hearing. Rather, I would prefer to read what individuals think all on their own. Without any help.

That's my last word on it and Good Morning.

• please be patient. Once again, will be posting a new mix very soon.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

Guy is being made to produce a totally perfect sound with absolutely new instruments which have completely different acoustic characteristics on a regular basis, and it is stupid to attack these demos this way.   I didn't even hear any problem since I liked the music so much.   Maybe they need some EQ?  So what?  That is normal for new sounds.   So you say "I'm not buying this library" blah-blah - what a bunch of crap.  

The Dimension strings are the best thing that has yet been created for string samples, and to trash them here is disgusting to me. 

Chill down a bit and read through the thread again. In my most humble opinion, you are way too sensitive to any statement that could be considered criticism of VSL, just or not. I love the products from VSL, they are second to none, both in terms of sample quality and software. I took advantage of the early bird offer when the violins where released, so I've already downloaded and installed the cellos. I do think they sound great.

• Update mix:

[url=http://guybacos.com/audio/Spring%20Awakening%20B.mp3] Update mix of Spring Awakening[/url]

• That may be the best cello sound I've heard from VSL, on a fine piece of music. 

• It does sound fantastic! I've produced some songs with the dimension cellos already and they allow me much more depth and richness than any sample has ever before, so I do really think they are worth every single penny. What’s so great with the Dimension instruments is that they have so much variety. I've used them in Baroque pieces as well as large scale neo-orchestral movie score "kind-of" music and they adapt. Whatever I am after, I get there with a little mixing.
    Guy, awesome demos. I would LOVE (...LOVE.LOVE) to see some examples of how you mix your demos...(Pretty please?). Do you only use tools from VSL or do you blend with other plugins? I would love to learn more how you utilize the EQ, limiter, compressor.

• last edited
    last edited

@jhonny.eriksson said:

What’s so great with the Dimension instruments is that they have so much variety.

That's exactly how I reacted.  The variety is incredible and extends through all articulations. For example, not only the tone of each player is different - sometimes very noticeably - but exactly the way each one plays a staccato is just a little different giving an enormous espressivo range. 

I agree it would be good to hear what was done differently in these mixes, though it does depend on the music, what you are going for, etc.   One thing to realize is the preset instrument profiles in MIR have many different EQ settings - one I have found is very good is the "Clean Low End" setting.  This addresses something I've noticed happens with cellos in an orchestra, rather than miked close up.  Close up a cello has a deep booming bass, but in an orchestral setting becomes much less bass and more tenor in its actual amplitude projected out into the audience.  So it is essential to cut that bass while keeping the rich mid range.  

• No problem, I will post later on today what I did different. The good news is, it had more to do with how I programmed it and some minor mix adjustments and not the samples themselves. 

Will also update "Cellos on the Run", tomorrow.

• Dim cellos blends in nicely with appa cellos and chamber cellos. Here's an example of the same piece.

[url=http://guybacos.com/audio/Spring%20Awakening%20Z.mp3]Spring Awakening (dim cellos + appa cellos + cello chamber)[/url]

• I also updated [url=http://guybacos.com/audio/Cellos%20on%20the%20Run.mp3]Cellos on The Run (Updated with addition of solo cello lib)[/url]

The combination is quite sweet.

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy Bacos said:

I also updated Cellos on The Run (Updated with addition of solo cello lib)

That's really night and day with the old version. Very nice composition, and great cello sound.

Criticisms: some of the faster parts sound a little fishy, such as the descending three note figures at 0:10 and 1:00,  and the ascending run at 1:45. The tremolos at 0:30 don't sound right, either. Timings are loose overall, and sometimes it sounds like it's for human effect, and sometimes it sounds like samples being out of sync.

Other than those specific points, it's astoundingly easy to imagine you're listening to actual players. While it appears to be harder to wield than previous collections, the sheer detail of the recordings seems to give DS the highest level of fool-the-ear realism yet.

• I really like the new mixes a lot, Guy. Very nice work!

• Glad to see it's more appealing. I think the great thing about dimension strings is it gives an actual possibility to play around with the timbre using other libraries, (Appa, chamber, solo, orchestra) in a more subtle way. 

Thanks for all your comments clamnectar. I did some tweaking since I posted it yesterday, maybe it covered some of your comments, although, I didn't understand all of them: The fishy notes? ;)  The tremolo is actually fast repetition notes. It was a bit high for the cello this tremolo passage, much more typical for violas or violin, so it was a bit a lot to ask here, so I thought the fast rep notes sounded better here. I actually think it sounds good, but could be a personal thing. You may have a better ear than I do. 

• Hello Guy,  

Your updated demos sound wonderful.  

Whatever you have changed in your production has really paid off.  The updated demos sound warmer, less metallic/harsh.

Thanks,

Muziksculp

• Guy, you've done an amazing job adding expression to the performance!  This really shows the powerful possibilities of VSL libraries and their tremendious ability to blend so well.  The individual character that Dimension Strings adds, with its multitude of articulations is the icing on the cake.  Superb work, very sweet.

• The updated demos indeed sounds way better also to my ears. Again, the compositions are fantastic as well. Kudos on the great work.

• And finally the 3rd demo updated. Just cellos and piano. Dimension cellos is mixed with other VSL cello lib.

[url=http://guybacos.com/audio/Fruhling%20Walzer.mp3]Frühling Walzer (cello combo)[/url]

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on