Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,506 users have contributed to 42,234 threads and 254,827 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 23 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• for those among you interested in benchmarks and such:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-ep-xeon-e5-2697-v2-benchmarks,3585.html

in a nutshell:

- for single-threaded applications: a bad idea (eg. iTunes)

- for multi-threaded application: a very good idea (eg. MIR)

- for your pocket: there are better ideas ;-)

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@LAJ said:

The Mac Pro is well designed and a nice idea. That is all.

A powerful Haswell Win PC with 64 GB RAM, and 3 x (built in)1TB SSDs is cheaper and especially for a VSL user much more effektive. I think it will not be a big success in the Music-Pro area.

You make me laught if you want to compare two system you must use the same processors.

Processors price is dictated by Intel !

PC and MAC are using the same processors, when you pay a XEON processor more than 2000 $ you cannot put it in a computer that you sell for  1000 $ !

You cannot have a dual processor computer with the Intel processors I serie (I5, I7......)

Also you don't need 3 TB for VSL, 1 TB is enought, also it is better to by 4 x 256 GB SSD and to put them in a Raid 0, you will multiply bandwith by 2 or 3

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic