Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,492 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,818 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• VSL basses "late" compared with non-VSL instruments

Hi, I'm just starting out with VSL special edition 1. I'm experimenting with the sounds by blending them with my other libraries, Garritan and EWQLSO Gold. I'm finding that the basses are wonderful, far better than anything else I have, so I'm very happy about that. But they are sounding a bit late. I've tried quantizing, increasing/reducing latency and adjusting the attack, with no results. The piece I'm using them in is already finished, so I'm just patching in the VSL basses to the music that is already there, not actually playing and recording it. Any suggestions? I think this could be a problem with other instruments as well, but so far I'm just testing the basses. The blend is very good with the other instruments, it's just the timing that is a problem. thanks,

• Hi Michael, this a common issue with orchestral strings. Just drag back the MIDI till the basses feel in time. Best way to do that is apply 'advance' (if your DAW has that function) to the entire part.

• Thank You Conquer. My DAW is Sonar. I believe the relevant tool there is the Slide function. I'll give it a try.

• Bowed instruments take a bit longer to "sound" as it takes a bit of time for the string to start resonating audibly.

Interestingly, most synth string patches and string machine patches emulate this natural quality of acoustic stringed instruments.

In both cases, I tend to pull back the MIDI if I want to align the resulting audio. Not always what I want though. :-)

• Some string patches are more noticeable in this regard. The problem somehow improved on its own, or at least it seems that way. I'm making it work, in any case. thanks for the feedback.