Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,491 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,818 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• Dimension Strings Voicing

Hello Everyone, I'm really new to Vienna (just got my first instruments early this week). Besides the complete special editions I also got Dimension Brass and Dimension Strings. I'm still trying to get the hang of it but there's one feature that made me buy Dimension Brass that was the whole intelligent splitting voices thing, where Vienna automatically distribute (for example) your 4 voice chord into 4 different horn players. That's pretty awesome. I'm trying to figure out if I can do that with Dimension Strings as well.. Not sure yet about how to take advantage of this collection. Are those desks with 2, 3 players that together form 8 players or you can get more than that? Can some one put some light on the divisi features you can achieve with this collection (I would say that it was a big reason for me to have bought it). Thanks in advance guys!

• First of all you need to buy Vienna Instruments PRO software for this and watch demo video for dimension instruments under http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/442/412/1943/1948/1601.htm. The Vienna instruments standard included with all instrument purchase is not enough.

• I have Vienna Instruments Pro already, as well as VEPro5, MIR PRO and Vienna Suite. I watched the videos already, I guess the main question for me is to hear from you guys what can be done regarding string divisi with Dimension Strings, as I already had a good experience with the new Dimension Brass voice functionality with VI Pro 2.

• Hi Gabriel!

Just to put things straight - DS gives you totally individual players, no desks. they can be used in different ways, Personally, I just use them separately, thus using 8 and more tracks in Cubase, most of the time creating first player part, and copy pasting - but there are bunch of different ways really!

• I have a review on Sonic Control.TV worth reading.

http://soniccontrol.tv/2013/03/07/insights-vienna-dimension-strings-part-1/

Once the final lecture for Visual Orchestration 2 posts this week, I'll be doing Part 2.

• Hi Gabriel, the automated voicing feature in Dimension Strings works the same as in Dimension Brass, i.e. notes of a chord can be automatically split between multiple patches in real time. It's user-configurable, so you can decide how many patches to assign to each note of a chord - for example, a four-note chord can be split between four different violin players, while a single note triggers just one violin. As in DB, the system is not pitch-based; voice splitting is determined by the note order, so if (say) the top note of your chord is played a couple of milliseconds ahead of the other notes, that top note will be assigned to the first voice.

The 8 violins played together in unison and were individually miked. There was no ensemble or by-desk miking, each player has his own set of patches. The VI Pro matrix list presents the patches as individual players (Player 1, Player 2, etc.), desks (Players 1 & 3, Players 2 & 4, etc.) groups (Players 1, 3, 5 & 7  and 2, 4, 6 & 8), and All Violins (Players 1-8). That saves you the labour of having to load individual player patches one at a time when you want a desk or ensemble sound. HTH!

• I too would like to see hoiw to use auto voicing for DS as well, 

When a chord is played they the DS players are devided among the 8 players when playing one note then all 8 players play in unison,

I read some where that this can not be done with legato patched in DS. am I wrong ?

• Thank you very much for all the feedback guys! Now I have a clear idea on how to incorporate Dimension Strings into my template. all the best, GS

• You're welcome GS! Mazeka, you're right, Auto Voicing does not work with legato patches. Tracking the overlapping notes you have to play in order to activate legato transitions and assigning them to the correct legato patch is just too complicated a task for the VI Pro software.

>When a chord is played they the DS players are devided among the 8 players when playing one note then all 8 players play in unison

That's one way of using the feature - it's user-programmable, so you can alter the number of players if you like. For example, four-note chords split between four players, with single notes played by two players.